From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:28:38 -0800

After writing to you last week about my experience with eating McCann's oatmeal and their response to my question..."Are any of your oats products deemed gluten free?"...I thought I would inform the list of further info from them as well as many of your responses.

I had explained to the list that I had researched archives and countless articles found on the oats debate.  I had bought McCanns, emailed them my question, BUT before they responded, I ate oatmeal.  And I loved it.  And best of all, my ever so sensitive system that has been restricted to poultry (I am GF, all dairy free, soy, corn, rice, sugar, fruit and veggies free)  It has been gruelsome to say the least.  BUT I had NO ill effects from their oatmeal.  So 4 days later, I ate it again.  Still no problems.  Then McCann's finally responded to my question with...."Sorry.........no!"  period!  No "Dear customer", no explanation, no "Sincerely, so-and-so".  I wasn't satisfied, nor impressed with them.  So I wrote back asking for a more considerate answer, and an explanation for the emphatic one that I got.  Here's the proper response, the one we deserve:

Dear CC:

Thanks for your e-mail regarding McCann's Oatmeal. All McCann's oatmeal products are made in a dedicated mill that makes only oat products. In the process, there is a cleaning system that removes non-oat grains, stones, pieces of straw etc.
The farmers deliver in the oats direct from the fields in trailers that might have contained wheat or barley earlier but we insist that they are swept out and
cleaned before they use them for oats.
As you can see, we take every reasonable precaution to ensure that there
is no possible cross contamination - but can we guarantee absolutely 100% that this is case with every pack of McCann's that leaves our premises, the answer would have to be "No". I think that the majority of celiacs would have no problem using our products but they really have to make that decision for themselves.
I hope you don't feel that I'm being evasive but I trying to give as clear a picture as
possible! Hope this clarifies the position.

Best regards,

Carol Baldwin

I received many caring words from Celiacs on this post.  To summarize, eight of you have tried McCann's and have had no ill effects.  One has had Old Wessex with no ill effects.  Three of you are still trying to get up the courage to try it, while two of you have lived by the "when in doubt, leave it out" notion.  Most important to me...I have read and read about this before I tried it.  I based MY decision on what I read.  And one of you confirmed my feelings saying this..."You have rediscovered the fact that oatmeal has too little gluten in it to be toxic to celiacs. This fact has been restated at all the celiac medical conferences for several years now. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that oatmeal causes celiac damage. Some people (celiacs and non-celiacs alike) claim they react to it, but they are probably
reacting to the fiber."

To those of you who wish to indulge...it was a treat I hope you enjoy with comfort and satisfaction. ~Cindy