From:
Whitney Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 22:36:10 -0800

Hi Again Everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone again for all the great (and very timely)
Cream of Rice hot cereal!!  I have recieved over 30 responses and I
found All of them of help.  The following is a breakdown of the info I
recieved:

ALL of the responses about campbell's V8 juice was positive!!  It is
indeed safe for us all!  However, there were some conflicting responses
regarding campbell's new drink V8 Splash.  A couple people reported that
they have tried it because they drink the other V8 juices without any
problems, but they did have problems with this V8 Splash.  One said he
did not have a problem with it, while another reported it was gluten
free, but niether mentioned whether or not they contacted campbells to
be certain.  Three people DID say they spoke with a customer service rep
at campbell's and all said campbells could NOT say that V8 Splash IS
gluten free, however the rep did say that he/she COULD say that ALL the
other V8 juices are indeed gluten free.  I was also given the campbells
phone number in the USA 1-800-257-8443, as well as Canada 800-410-7687.

Additionally, a few were not sure if the hot & spicey was safe, again,
I heard ALL V8 is safe EXCEPT for the new V8 Splash.  I recieved an
excellent response that V8 makes a great soup stock INDEED it DOES!  I
did get a response that although V8 IS a good tasting drink the sodium
content is VERY high, so for those of us who love vegetable juice, a
juicer is the way to go. Lastly on juices in general, I recieved one
response regarding fruit juices and NOT to ASSume all of them are safe
just because it's fruit, some fruit juices apparently contain Food
starch, but they did not mention what some of those juices are, so buyer
beware!  Finally, I was told about a vegetable juice drink that Muir
Glen makes that is supposed to be very good and interestingly, that
response was also responded to by a customer service rep at Muir Glen
saying that ALL of Muir Glen's products are GF EXCEPT the soups and she
also left her phone # at Muir Glen for anyone with any questions it is:
1-800-832-6345.

Now for the Nabisco Cream of Rice report (as short as possible -
promise)!  Very conflicting responses on this one I think mainly because
it is NOT on any "official" GF lists (TCCSSG or CSA).  Many consider it
NOT safe because of the possibilty of wheat cross-contamination because
Nabisco also makes Cream of Wheat.  So nothing is guarenteed.  One
response said nabisco claims to have some products listed as GF with CSA
but apparently this is not the case (I personally can't confirm this
because I do not have the CSA list yet (I ordered it along with the
TCCSSG in Michigan list - thanks to all those who recommended I do so!)
One response told me about a year or so ago Nabisco accidentally labled
cream of wheat as cream of rice!  But a note was that the rice is white
and the wheat is brown - easy to tell the difference.

Nonetheless, no-one said they actually experienced any problems with
the cream of rice and a VERY NICE Lucy from The Gluten Free Kitchen says
she uses it often and offered any help to me including recipies!!!
Thanks!! Her web site is great!  It is: http://home1.gte.net/lbshri
Nabisco's phone # is 800-668-2253 if anyone has any questions.  I was
told that Arrowhead Mills makes a good hot cereal "Rice and Shine" and
Enr=G makes one too.  I have not tried them yet.  Finally, one responder
suggested I make my own cereal by simply blending raw rice and boiling
it, I have not tried this yet either but it sounds interesting.

And truly lastly, MANY told me about two highly recommended GF shopping
guides; one for $10.00 from the Tri-County Celiac Sprue Support Group
(TCCSSG), 34638 Beechwood ST., Farmington Hills, MI 48335 and the other
for $8.00, which is the latest (1996, I think??) version of the CSA/USA
GF shopping guide, Box 31700, Omaha, NE 68131-0700!

 My hand hurts from this too long (my apologies) "summary"
Again, many thanks!
Whitney, USA