Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:10:07 -0500

Heather, as promised, and all my Listserv friends,

Here is the best Biscotti I've come up with, and the only fat is the yolks of
the 2 eggs!  This really helps when you crave something crunchy.  As with all
my GF food I share this with all my friends and it is a treat they always
look forward to.  I generally make this up and then vacuum pack what I don't
give away to friends in 2-biscotti packages for a quick addition to a packed
lunch or the car for a long, busy day.

Theoretical yield: 30-35 biscotti
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use an oil based GF extract)
1 teaspoon GF lemon extract or GF almond
1 cup sugar + 1/3 cup Karo corn syrup
2 1/2 cups Bette Hagman's GF flour mix (6 parts rice flour
                2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca flour)
1 tsp. Xanthun Gum (add while mixer is going and with other flour)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt, yes it really needs this tiny bit!
3/4 cup toasted, finely chopped nuts

Flavors I've combined:  Lemon extract and almonds, Orange extract and
hazelnuts, almond extract and almonds. I've also made chocolate ones.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray baking sheet with PAM cooking spray (yes,
it's GF)

Combine eggs, egg whites and extracts.  Mix well.  Add the sugar, flour,
baking powder, xanthun gum, salt, and nuts.  Beat and add more flour if
needed until a stiff dough forms.

Turn dough onto a lightly GF floured board (I use sweet rice flour for this
purpose).  Knead dough several times and divide in half.

Form dough into two flattish logs about 15 inches long and 3-4" wide.  Place
logs on the sprayed baking sheet about 3 inches apart and bake for 45
minutes.

Remove and cool for 10 minutes.  Be sure to reduce oven heat to 275 degrees
as soon as you remove the sheet.

On a cutting board, cut the logs diagonally into 3/4 "-1" thick slices.
Arrange the slices on their cut sides on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20
minutes til the up side is crisp and slightly brown.

Turn them over and bake another 15 minutes til that side looks hard and only
slightly brown.

Turn the heat off, and leave the biscotti to crisp further in the closed oven
for another 20 minutes.

If still not as crisp as you would like, bake some more and leave in oven.
Remove from oven and cool completely.

Enjoy!