From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 22:53:18 -0400

This is a letter I received from Tim Casey, who is a fellow that I had sent
CD info to. Does anybody know of any connections between hemochomatosis and
CD? Any other comments?

Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 19:34:46 -0700
From: [log in to unmask] (Hemochromatosis Fdn., Inc.)

Don,

Thanks for the great letter on celiac.  You were wondering about
hemochomatosis (HC):  just substitute "HC" for "celiac" and you just about
have the picture, down to it being a defect in the small intestine.  (I can
guarantee that everything you read about HC in your medical reference was
probably wrong.)

I was amazed at the similarities in patient experiences, too.  Even though
HC is the #1 genetic killer in the U.S., most doctors refuse to test for or
treat it.  Because iron is a toxic metal, like mercury or cadmium, it causes
damage throughout the body, including the bone marrow.  Once the iron has
reached toxic levels, many things go wrong, so it's common for a victims
blood count to be low (anemia) and iron low.  Hence the treatment with iron
suppliments.  Unfortunately, that therapy usually kills the patient.
(Incidently, iron suppliments are also the #1 cause of poisoning, too.)

Tim Casey