From:
Jeanne Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanne Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:00:39 -0400

Whole Foods (Time Warner Center, at Columbus Circle, 59th Street and
also at
24th Street and 7th Avenue)
----------------
Bistango ,( GFRAP)
415 3rd St. (at 29th & 3rd Ave., 10016=20
212-725-8484
Italian restaurant recommended for its great food wonderful ambiance,
friendly staff and great value. They offer a variety of appetizers,
salads, chicken dishes, seafood and desserts that can all be prepared

Brazil Grill
787 8th Ave. 10019
212-307-9449
and 102 MacDougal St. 10012
212-777-7637
Brazilian restaurant near the theatre district. "Friendly, fun, casual,
very good food."

Candle 79,  (GFRAP)
154 E. 79 St.
212-537-7179
Upscale vegan venue. Near Madison Ave. shopping

Gobo
401 Ave. of the Americas 10014
212-255-3242
Upscale Asian vegetarian dining rooted in Buddhist philosophy.

Guastavinos
409 E. 59th St. (Between 1st & York Ave.)
212-980-2455
"Right under the Queensboro Bridge (a.k.a. The 59th Street Bridge.
Although
they didn't have a GF turkey they had other great food that worked out
terrific. They do have a traditional turkey for non-gf folks." $65 for
Thanksgiving dinner.

North Square
103 Waverly Place, 10011
212-254-1200
On the northwest corner of Washington Square Hotel
"Food was elegant and delicious."

Pure Food and Wine
54 Irving Place, 10003, East Village
212-477-1010
Upscale raw vegan menu.  The entire menu is NOT GF. For instance, one
dish has a non-GF soy sauce in it.

The Delta Grill
9th Ave. & 48th St.
212-956-0934
A Cajun bar-restaurant
"I generally ordered their blackened foods - and they brought out the
seasoning mix containers so I could inspect the list of ingredients."

Hampton Chutney Company
68 Prince St. (between Crosby and Lafayette)
212-226-9996
They make these rice flour based dosas (like a wrap).

There are so many restaurants in NYC that either have a gluten free menu
or will accommodate a gluten free diet. I don't have all the addresses but
have visited most of them. Of course there are all the chain restaurants
and you can never go wrong in a steak house or seafood restaurant. Whole
Foods, Fairway and all the health food stores have many food items. They
can notify, in advance, the management of their hotel and the executive
chef will be happy to help them if they dine in their hotel. When making
dinner reservations, they should always inform the host that the guests
will require a gluten free selections.
Asia De Cuba, Bistango, Blue Smoke, Risotteria, Lumi, Peter's Gourmet
Diner and Tropica all have gluten free menus. Blue Water Grill, Rock
Center Cafe, The Sea Grill, Cafe Centro, City Hall Cafe, Buddakan and St.
Andrews have all handled my gluten free requests with knowledge and care.
Most people will consider these upscale restaurants. There is a fabulous
bakery called Babycakes that they must try.
Your friends will have a fabulous time in my glorious city and be gluten
free to boot.
I forgot two additional restaurants that were very accommodating:
Beyoglu (Turkish)
Liberty View (Chinese - Pan Asian)

Try this:
http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreenyc/dining.html
which is part of
http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreenyc/home
The gf pizza place is Risotteria, I think.
Bakery: Josef's Gluten-Free  (in Williamsburgh, Brooklyn).

check out www.celiacchicks.com
They list many NYC restaurants

There are a number of restaurants that belong to the GF Restaurant
Awareness Program in NYC.
It is worth the trip to the Village to go to Risotteria. A full menu of
pizzas and risottos and desserts just for the CD patient.
Most of the Restaurant Associates places (8-1/2 on 57th St., the
Brasserie on E. 53rd St., Tropica in
the Grand Central station building) accommodate GF well. They do not
have GF menus, but the chefs understand and will work with you.
If you decide to go to a top-notch place, Le Bernardin (very pricey) is
a fish restaurant that will go as far as making special 'chef's treats'
that are GF.
If you want basic breakfast, lunch foods, Peter's on 83rd and 2nd ave.
is a GF diner-like affair.
If you would like more suggestions, let me know where you're staying
and perhaps I can suggest
places nearby. There are many people with CD in the city and we all
have our local spots - which is to say that many restaurants are familiar
with gluten and can turn out a good GF meal.

http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/

We highly recommend Risotteria (check their website
risotteria.com).  It is a small place, with great gf
food.  They serve fabulous gf breadsticks, and all
their desserts are gf, too.  I believe you can see the
menu online.

We also loved Chenni Garden.  Read about them at
celiacchicks.com.  The dosai are made from bean flour,
and are gf.  Great picture of them at the celiacchix
website.  They also list lots of other places to try!

Slice had gf pizza, and it was fine.

A must for all GF diners is Sambucca (for wonderful Italian food in a
great atmosphere) and Peter’s (if you love a very diverse menu).  Peter’s
menu changes by the season, but they have wonderful dishes and most can be
prepared GF.  Risotteria is small, serves pizzas and risotto – not the
place for someone who is also dairy free.
There is a new restaurant that was noted in Sully’s Living Without.  I
haven’t tried it.  It is Slice, The Perfect Food, located on the Upper
East Side, www.sliceperfect.com  They had DF varieties also.
We do not consider a trip to NY complete without a stop at Peter’s.
Tell your friends to determine what they want to do, and then plan where
they want to eat based on the location of their day’s plans.  Mass transit
can still take tome to get to a restaurant even if it is in the general
vicinity of the day’s plans.
Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com  for a list of 105+
national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free
items.  There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented to
restaurant  personnel to ease the ordering process.

I got the following off the list serv archives so not sure how current the
info is.

JOSEPH’S GLUTEN FREE BAKERY  1712 Avenue M, Brooklyn 718-336-9494

TINI RISTORANTE ITALIANO 1562 Second Avenue (81st & 2nd)
Phone: 212-628-3131  fax: 212-570-5140
Ask for owner Enzo Lentini, several selections of GF pasta nightly

http://www.nypizzaandpasta.com/gfindex.html  New York Pizza Place