From:
Katherine Forgacs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katherine Forgacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 04:25:39 -0400

Regarding the request for information on treatments for fibromyalgia:

I am sorry I did not see this request until it was summarized, but I was
actually shocked that no one recommended getting tested for Lyme Disease.
(Particularly as the request was made by a resident of Long Island,
essentially the epicenter of an endemic area for this disease.)

Normally I would not respond to the entire list for an individual request
like this, but Lyme Disease is a very serious illness that everyone should
be aware of, whether they live in an endemic area or not. Ticks don't know
state boundaries!

Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue are two very common diagnoses for
individuals with chronic Lyme (as are many other autoimmune-type illnesses,
such as MS and autism). They share a lot of unusual symptoms and are
notoriously hard to identify and treat.

However, in the case of Lyme Disease, treatments are available, and are
medically necessary in order to prevent the condition from worsening.

Chronic Lyme Disease and Celiac Disease also share many symptoms, and it is
my suspicion that in time we will see more and more Lymies being diagnosed
with CD, or that they will be determined to benefit from a gluten-free diet,
as do many people with autism. But diet alone is not the complete story.

Please excuse me for going slightly off-topic from this listserv, but the
potential overlap between the original poster's illnesses and Lyme (as well
as Celiac), particularly since Lyme is preventable and treatable (less so
the longer it goes unidentified), are too important to go unaddressed.

More information can be found here:

http://www.ilads.org
http://www.underourskin.com

(I have no personal stakes in either of these projects.)

all best,

Kat Forgacs
Bloomington, IN (formerly of southern Connecticut, and a chronic Lymie since
1989 - 20 years and counting!)