From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:48:36 -0500

This is an updated list from Giant (a grocery store chain in the
mid-Atlantic). There are alot of changes since the one posted here in
January. If an item has been deleted this does not mean it is no longer
gluten free, just that it may have been too long since they last checked
about the item. So if items deleted are of interest to you then contact
them so they can research the status of these items. Call 1-877-846-9949
ask to speak with a Nutritionist (you may still be connected with
customer service but still ask for the Nutritionist, apparently they are
in the same area but customer service doesn't answer gf questions). They
have 2 nutritionists on staff. Or you can email them at "Consumer
Affairs" <[log in to unmask]>

They are currently still checking on several items that I had requested
their gluten free status but Giant still has not gotten updated
information (potato salads, cole slaws and the frozen stir fry
vegetables).

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:05:37 -0500
From: "Consumer Affairs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

We appreciate your interest in knowing about gluten in Super G or Giant
products.  We can research any Super G or Giant items with which you may
have a concern.  We do not have a complete list, the products in this
letter are products which have been recently checked.  Please note that
we anticipate supplier changes in the next year, so check back with us
if these items are of continued interest.  Always read the label -
ingredients change.  We cannot be held responsible for individual
reactions to a product.

We have been told by our suppliers that these products are gluten free:

Dairy Department
Butter: salted, unsalted
Cheeses (packaged):  Chunk, Shredded, Slices, Stick & Cubed Cheese:  New
York Sharp, Wisconsin Sharp and Wisconsin white sharp, Sharp and mild
Cheddars;, Colby Longhorn,
Harvarti, Jack, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella, Muenster, Pasteurized Processed
American and cheese food including Reduced fat, Fat Free,
Cottage Cheese, all types
Cream cheese; all types
Creams: table, half & half
Egg Nog
Egg substitute
Milk:  all types including chocolate, buttermilk and skim deluxe
Ricotta cheese:  all types
Yogurt: plain

Deli and service deli department:
Rotisserie chickens:  oven roasted, Italian and Lemon Pepper
Tortilla Chips (paper bag) white, yellow, blue, unsalted and tricolor

Frozen Foods:
Citrus pops
Sherbet (all flavors)
Twin pops
Combo cremes ice cream bars (vanilla-chocolate coated)
No-sugar added fudge bars
Ice cream cups, vanilla
Dreamy Tofu
Ice cream, including high inclusion with candy bars, etc. all flavors
(except cookies and cream and chocolate chip cookie dough)
Potatoes (unseasoned):  regular, crinkle, shoestring, steak, hash
browns, puffs (taters)
Vegetables:  Broccoli in cheese sauce, Peas in butter sauce, Broccoli
spears, green beans (cut, French, petite and whole) greens (turnip,
collard, kale, mustard), carrots (baby and sliced) limas (baby and
Fordhook) spinach (leaf and chopped) okra (whole and cut), diced
peppers, chopped onions

Grocery Department:
Applesauce
Barbecue Sauce (all flavors)
Beans, dry and canned including Chickpeas, Black eyed peas, Pork & Beans
and Vegetarian
Cheese, grated parmesan, fat free and Romano blend in jar or canister
Cherries, light sweet, dark and water pack
Cherries, Maraschino
Chocolate syrup, can and squeeze bottle
Coconut, flaked sweetened
Coffee, whole bean, flavored
Cranberry juice cocktail:  all flavors and 100%
Cranberry sauce (whole & jellied)
Fruit Snacks
Grits, Quick
Hot Sauce
Jellies, preserves and fruit spreads
Juices: cranberry, tomato, vegetable
Kids fun pops
Lemon juice
Mushrooms:  stems and pieces, button and no salt
Mustard, yellow, Dijon and brown
Nuts:  honey roasted peanuts, party peanuts, mixed nuts, cashews, all
dry roasted peanuts, cashews and mixed nuts
Oils:  canola, corn, peanut, sunflower, vegetable
Olives,ripe (black)
Pasta sauce:  Tomato Basil, Roasted Garlic, Four Cheese
Peanut Butter:  creamy and chunky
Pickle Relish, Sweet & Hot Dog
Pickles, all types
Pie filling, cherry
Popcorn, Bagged butter flavored
Pork and beans, vegetarian beans
Pudding Snacks:  Chocolate, Vanilla and Tapioca
Raisins, Seedless (packaged)
Rice, brown, white and instant
Salt:  iodized and non-iodized
Shortening, vegetable
Soup:  Chicken Broth
Sunflower seeds:  dry roasted and unsalted
Syrup:  cane & maple, lite pancake, pancake with butter
Tea:  Regular and Decaffeinated
Tomatoes for cooking, diced tomatoes, crushed, stewed, no-salt added
Tomato Juice
Tomato paste
Tomato sauce (regular and no-salt added)
Vegetables, canned: creamed corn white and gold corn, green beans,
sliced beets, Irish potatoes, peas, wax beans, corn relish, pickled
beets, whole beets, Harvard beets, carrots, lima beans, mixed
vegetables, sauerkraut, succotash, red cabbage
Vegetable juice
Worcestershire sauce

Meat:
Italian sausage, mild and hot

Over the Counter Products:
Extra Strength Pain Reliever gel tabs (acetominophen)
Glucose tabs

Please note the following caveats from some of our suppliers:  Our salad
dressing supplier said they could not 100% guarantee their vinegar
sources, so if you have been told by your doctor to avoid distilled
vinegars with a possible wheat base you should not use those items. The
supplier for our Super G capers and green olives with pimento says the
vinegar is distilled three times, but can be from a wheat source. This
is also true for our salsa supplier.  In a distilled vinegar there is
not likely to be any gluten, but some physicians may still want you to
avoid it.  Our maraschino cherry supplier also said they cannot
guarantee that the source for their flavorings won't change.

The following products have also been checked and contain gluten or
could be contaminated with gluten:
bagged cheddar cheese popcorn
bulk dried fruits
catsup and chili sauce,
cheese puffs and baked cheese crunchies
coconut macaroons
corn chips (ribbon and BBQ flavored)
tortilla chips (all flavors)
corn flakes and crispy rice and bite size rice (chex) cereal
grated Parmesan cheese, grated fat free Parmesan and grated Romano blend
fudge bars, chocolate ice cream cups, Neopolitan ice cream brick
mayonnaise
salad dressing type mayonnaise
potato chips (all flavors),seasoned
crispy and curly fries
soups (vegetable with beef and beef broth)
vanilla extract.
Also, vitamin A acetate, vitamin E acetate, beta- carotene and vitamin D
have a starch carrier (soft gels and liquids do not use starch
carriers).

If there are any other products for which you need more information
please let us know.

Thanks, again, for contacting us.  We appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Paulette Thompson, M.S., R.D.
Food And Nutrition Coordinator
Ref:  104131