From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:49:40 EST

Okay, here's some more responses:

*About the only bread I've found edible is the Food for Life raisin and pecan
bread.  I'd suggest lightly toasting it at home, buttering, and then slightly
heating it in the microwave at work.  Take the ham, cheese, or whatever you
want to add as sandwich material, with mayo on the side (also horseradish
mayo is good) and make your sandwiches "fresh."  But I've been on a weight
loss regimen and have nearly eliminated bread.  Nevertheless, it's the only
bread I eat.  Makes good toast for breakfast as well.  Bacon and peanut
butter sandwiches for breakfast (if you need to carry them) is good.

Mainly, I make "salads" for lunch with broccoli slaw rather than lettuce as
a base.  Then add meat (chicken, beef) or hard boiled eggs and nuts. The
Kraft fat free dressings are great. I usually use thousand island because of
the taste. However, the only dressing I stay away from is Ranch.  The rest
seem OK - at least for me.
If your grocery has a bakery and they make macaroons fresh, they make a
great dessert with canned fruit. There's also a Hebrew brand in a can that
are very tasty.  If you haven't tried the latest la creme - it's fabulous!
I usually have one of those with a banana for breakfast.

* Whole Foods (also Fresh Fields and other names for stores) carries
some other frozen items--Chicken Taquitos, Chicken Enchiladas, and Cheese
Enchiladas.  They are different than Amy's and spicier. http://wholefoods.com
 They list the gluten free products in the 365 line and Whole Foods line.
The kids list has the ingredients listed and the gluten free status.
Cederlane has at least one gf option.  When I checked I think it was  the
Enchilada Pie. Thai brand (close, I think) frozen entrees are carried in a
lot of stores and they have Indian type foods and label them gluten free.
Some of them are very good.   They rate the spice level in each product.I use
Ener-G's Tapioca bread.  It is tolerable. I don't like any other flavor or
brand of frozen bread.  I make sandwiches with meat, cheese, cream cheese,
peanut butter and jelly.  Keep them thin.  The bread tends to crumble with
too much, especially lettuce etc.
Tuna:  The new foil packets are great to carry and open up for a
salad with a simple dressing.  I carry Annie's packets of dressing
(from Gluten-free Mall). Crackers:  I use a lot of Edwards & Son's Rice
Crackers.  They are nice and add crunch.  They are readily available where I
live.  They label the flavors and all are gf.  They add a nice crunch to go
with soup or salad. Baked potatoes:  They are great heated in the microwave
and you can add toppings.
I keep Ziploc bags with plain frozen water in my freezer (freeze water flat
and do not fill too full) and put them with potatoes, sandwiches and other
items to keep them cold if you don't have a refrigerator available.  They can
be tossed or taken home and
refrozen.

*  When I cook a roast of any kind, I usually cook much bigger than we need,
and then I slice it up and immediately put enough slices for one meal in
plastic zip bags and store it in the freezer. If it is frozen immediately,
the taste will remain fresh. Flat breads can come in handy. Mostly, you mix
one cup of flour, 1 T of oil, 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup salt; let it set just a
few minutes, and then cook them in a skillet like a pancake, only they are
thin.
This sounds weird, but The Yeast Connection Cookbook by Wm. G. Crook, M.D.
and Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N. is really good for celiacs. Most recipes we can
eat, and Jones gives a lot of details with her recipes that makes fixing them
easy, and she understands being busy.  Some people use gluten-free waffles
for bread. They get limp, but crisp right up in a toaster. I use waffles for
sandwich bread, but I don't know that waffles are much of a time saver,
though. They do freeze well, but you have to separate them with wax paper. I
got the idea for flat breads from that book, and she gives little adjustments
for several different flours that make them work out well.

That's it for now.....more to come.

Linda in Savannah, GA