From:
Debbie Movens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:04:46 EDT

I just returned from a trip to San Francisco on Continental Airlines.  Before
I left for my flight, I had received in the mail, a brochure from Continetal
Airlines listing all their new special dietary meals they now have available.
To my surprise, one of them on the list was GLUTEN-FREE.  I was really excited
when I made my reservations, and requested the gluten-free meals, as shown in
their new brochure.

The flight to San Francisco (approx. 5 hours) departed at 7:00a.m., so I
anxiously awaited my breakfast.  When the flight attendant told me she had no
special meals on the flight, I was shocked.  I had confirmed and reconfirmed
so many times, how could they not have my meal?  The regular meal consisted of
corn flakes, banana, and a muffin.  The flight attendant told me just to eat
the cereal then.  So many people still do not know what gluten is.  I tried to
explain, mostly about the wheat, and she then got me a muffin.  Needless to
say, I was starving.

The flight back home from San Francisco was in the evening.  I called the
airlines on three different occassions to stress the importance of this
gluten-free meal, especially since the flight is so long.  Immediately upon
check-in I asked the attendant to check for me.  She found my special meal and
it was indeed gluten-free.  I was served a grilled chicken breast, plain salad
(no dressing), an apple, and a piece of angel food cake.  It was a great meal,
and I was so pleased.  Also on the tray was a card explaining the meal was
prepared in accordance with a Houston Hospital and several dieticians were
consulted.  I was impressed.    However, when I went to eat the angel food
cake, I couldn't find a listing of ingredients to check.  The bakery it came
from did not resemble any I could remember for gluten-free goods.  My husband
told me it had to be okay if they gave it to me, "Just eat it".  I decided
against it, and brought it home with me.  I called the bakery and asked for
the ingredients---wheat flour!!!  They make no gluten-free items.

I immediatley called Continental, and registered my complaint.  I was told it
was a mistake, and I should have had a coconut macaroon for dessert instead.
They were sorry for the inconvenience.  That was it!!!

I believe they are making progress by attempting to serve our special dietary
needs, but they still don't realize how costly such a mistake can be.  We
cannot depend on anyone---we need to trust our instincts and check everything
for ourselves.

DM