From:
Janet Harvie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 23:26:52 -0700

As one of the "uninitiated and inexperienced" I agree strongly with
Terri's message. As a new member, I have found it difficult at times to
know if someone was expressing an opinion or a generally accepted fact,
having no real basis for evaluation. Well, lucky for me I am a quick
study. This debate on celiac and other conditions made me realize that I
need to read and evaluate carefully the information being presented. It
would help  *immensely* if I had a clue from the writer whether they
were relying on their own experience or a known authority. Sometimes I
can tell from the context, but other times it is not easy to decifer. A
notaion such as Terri suggested would be most helpful. I look forward to
learning a lot from all of you and welcome your diverse insights.

Original  message
From:  [log in to unmask] (Willingham)
Subject: Re: Links between Coeliac and other conditions

.......I think we can find a happy, healthy medium by making posts that
are identified as opinions when they are, with light attributes ("I read
this in Clan Thompson." or what have you) when helpful or as personal
experiences when that is the case. I agree that "What ifs" can be
thought-provoking and interesting and a great exercise in critical
reading, as long as they're not cloaked as "fact" that the uninitiated
and inexperienced (and sometimes even the initiated and experienced!)
may not be able to detect as being otherwise.