From:
Sharon Bittner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Bittner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 04:14:37 -0800

Thank you so much to all who responded with suggestions for eating out in NYC!
Sharon
I just took my 3 yr old last month. We went to Amer. Girl, too.  Make sure they are careful with your food.  They were fine with us, but I've heard stories....  We went to Risoterria in the Village.  A gluten free pizza place.  They have other gluten free stuff, too.  Very casual and very friendly.  Pizza was good.  There are a number of other places, too, but we did not go them.  I'm sure you'll get responses, I just can't remember the names.  Someone today also told me about Zen Palate, but maybe your daughter won't be into it?  It's supposed to be yummy Asian and a lot of it is GF.
There is a comprehensive listing of GF establishments in NYC on the GF in NY page on my site:
www.silly-yak.com.

Closest to the Grand Central/American Girl area is TROPICA in the MetLife Building @ 200 Park Ave. at E. 45th St.
Reservations: 212 867 6767. Pricey, but great food and part of the Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program -so you know you are safe.
Also part of the program is Bloom's Delicatessen Cafe. 350 Lexington Avenue (corner of 40th Street) NYC. 212-922-FOOD. Not far at all!

Not much in the Times Square/Grand Central area, but on 9th Ave in the 40s and 50s there are a bunch of international places to eat including Indian, Thai and Brazilian places that are naturally GF.
I recommend a small, cozy place called Rice and Beans which has GF manioc/cheese bread (delicious) and many dishes that have no flour. 744 9TH Ave at 50th st. (212) 265-4444
There is Dallas BBQ on 42nd st btwn 7-8th ave right on Times Square. This great, cheap, busy, loud, fun place has roasted chicken (get it with NO SAUCE and ask for NO CORN BREAD ON THE PLATE), coleslaw, and burgers (GET NO BUN). Plus the margaritas are terrific!
For pizza and GF risotto and GF beer and bread, you MUST go to Risoterria (again, see the GF in NY page). It is downtown on Bleecker St and you can get there easily from via the shuttle to Times Square, then transfer to the 1 train to Christopher St (and then only 2 blocks south of that stop to Bleecker). WELL WORTH THE TRIP!
The WHOLE FOODS in Columbus Circle has all the GF treats you need, plus a full salad bar. It would be a 45 minute walk to Grand Central.
not exactly near by but worth the cab ride - Sambuca 20 West 72nd 212-787-5656
www.sambucanyc.com
has a gf kids and adult menu, family style portions and GF bread and brownie. when we were there in dec. four tables around us were ordering from the GF menu.
try this site as well for other places:
www.glutenfreerestaurants.org
I have reviewed a few restaurants on my blog
www.glutenguide.blogspot.com Also check the GFRAP, www.glutenfreerestaurants.org

Bloom's Delicatessen Cafe
350 Lexington Avenue (corner of 40th Street)
New York, New York 10016
(212) 922-3663
Bloom's New York Delicatessen & Restaurant features a special gluten free
menu including amazing gluten free French Fries!!
------------------------
Lumi's
963 Lexington Ave
Near intersection of Lexington Ave and E 70th St
Pricey but worth it.  They had a special celiac menu and everything was
cooked to order.  Best risotto I've had in years.
--------------------------
Risotteria
270 Bleecker St
New York City, New York 10014-4101
Neighborhood: West Village
Tel: (212) 924-6664
Fantastic Pizza, bread sticks, cheese cake and, for you, GF beer
---------------------
Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Cross Street: 33rd Street
Phone: (212) 725-8585
Open for Lunch
------------------------
Ruby Foo's
(212) 724-6700
(212) 724-4761
2182 Broadway
New York, NY 10024
(Pan-Asian food, the chef's mother has celiac, I eat there  frequently and
get the pad-thai) (77th and Broadway)
-------------------------
JOSIE'S RESTAURANT & JUICE BAR
300 Amsterdam Avenue
at 74th Street
New York City, NY 10023
212 769-1212
212 873-3913
open for lunch
-----------------------------
O'Lunney's Times Square Pub
151 W 46th St,   New York 10036
Phone: 212-840-6688
Fax: 212-840-0692
---------------------
Black Duck Restaurant on 28th St.--Chef Hector Tice, and restaurant
manager Diana Vouvoudakis took tons of time with me to understand and adapt
items on their menu to suite our gluten free diet--heartily recommend them:
212-204-5240
------------------------
Sambuca
(212) 787-5656
www.sambucanyc.com
20 West 72nd Street.(close to the Museum of Natural History)
They have a separate Gluten free/wheat free menu and the food is served
family style. GF menu has many pasta, chicken, meat and seafood options.
-------------------
Whole Foods (Time Warner Center, at Columbus Circle, 59th Street and also at
24th Street and 7th Avenue)
----------------
Bistango ,( GFRAP)
415 3rd St. (at 29th & 3rd Ave., 10016=20
212-725-8484
Italian restaurant recommended for its great food wonderful ambiance,
friendly staff and great value. They offer a variety of appetizers, salads,
chicken dishes, seafood and desserts that can all be prepared

Brazil Grill
787 8th Ave. 10019
212-307-9449
and 102 MacDougal St. 10012
212-777-7637
Brazilian restaurant near the theatre district. "Friendly, fun, casual, very
good food."

Candle 79,  (GFRAP)
154 E. 79 St.
212-537-7179
Upscale vegan venue. Near Madison Ave. shopping

Gobo
401 Ave. of the Americas 10014
212-255-3242
Upscale Asian vegetarian dining rooted in Buddhist philosophy.

Guastavinos
409 E. 59th St. (Between 1st & York Ave.)
212-980-2455
"Right under the Queensboro Bridge (a.k.a. The 59th Street Bridge. Although
they didn't have a GF turkey they had other great food that worked out
terrific. They do have a traditional turkey for non-gf folks." $65 for
Thanksgiving dinner.

North Square
103 Waverly Place, 10011
212-254-1200
On the northwest corner of Washington Square Hotel
"Food was elegant and delicious."

Pure Food and Wine
54 Irving Place, 10003, East Village
212-477-1010
Upscale raw vegan menu.  The entire menu is NOT GF. For instance, one dish
has a
non-GF soy sauce in it.

The Delta Grill
9th Ave. & 48th St.
212-956-0934
A Cajun bar-restaurant
"I generally ordered
their blackened foods - and they brought out the seasoning mix containers so
could inspect the list of ingredients."

Hampton Chutney Company
68 Prince St. (between Crosby and Lafayette)
212-226-9996
They make these rice flour based dosas (like a wrap).
It is a little bit of a walk from American Girl Place, but if your girls
aren't too young, it is a doable walk -- we recently ate at Bloom's
Delicatessen which is at 350 Lexington Avenue at the corner of 40th St. They
have a gluten free menu which offers hamburgers with no bun, omelettes, and
gluten free french fries. There are some other menu items, I just can't
recall them right now. My daughter had a pizza burger with sauce and cheese
on it and loved it. My son had a bunless bacon cheeseburger. They also bring
a bowl of pickles to your table. Not much in the way of gf desserts.

There is an Outback Steakhouse at 919 Third Ave at 56th St. Again, this is a
bit of a walk from AG
We were there over Thanksgiving and LOVED Peter's Gourmet Diner
(100's 0f GF items) on the upper East side and then right through to
the other side of Central PArk on the West side we enjoyed Sambucca's
Italian Trattatoria for dinner which is across the street from the
Dakota.