From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:41:59 -0400

I just got this and thought that it would be of interest to list
members. The formatting didn't hold up well when I cut and pasted it..

Their website is www.celiacdiseasecenter.org

-Michael Thorn, RN

2007/2008 Progress Report for Research Activities

 STUDIES CONCERNING THE DIAGNOSIS OF CELIAC DISEASE  Antibody Testing In
view of the difficulties that are encountered in the diagnosis of celiac
disease, we performed a study comparing commercially available
serological kits for the detection of anti-tissue transglutaminase
antibodies. We documented that the different kits manufactured by
different companies do have variable sensitivity and specificities. This
information is important for practicing physicians because it means that
the same test may be either positive or negative due to factors apart
from the presence or absence of the disease itself.

These findings were published in the Journal of Clinical
Gastroenterology, August 2008. Duodenal Biopsies Duodenal biopsies are
the gold standard in the diagnosis of celiac disease. However, the
pathological interpretation is very dependent on the skills and
knowledge of the interpreting pathologist. In order to standardize the
assessment of the changes characteristic of celiac disease in duodenal
biopsies, we developed a technique of quantitative assessment of the
degree of villous atrophy using image processing techniques. We found
that there was excellent correlation with the quantitative assessment
and degree of villous atrophy as assessed by an experienced
gastrointestinal pathologist. This study is the first that has attempted
to standardize the assessment of the degree of villous atrophy. It was
published in the Journal of Clinical Pathology, July 2008. In addition,
we published an invited editorial in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
concerning how many biopsies are required for the diagnosis of celiac
disease (Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, June 2008) Use of genetic markers
in the diagnosis of celiac disease It is known that in order to acquire
celiac disease, an individual must possess the specific genes that
encode for HLA DQ2 or DQ8. However, the exact role of the assessment of
these genetic markers in the diagnosis of celiac disease has not been
fully established. We therefore used a decision analysis modeling
technique in order to determine the cost effectiveness of including the
assessment of HLA type in the screening of family members of those with
celiac disease. Our study revealed that the use of HLA markers in the
screening of celiac disease amongst high risk family members was not
cost effective. The price would have to be reduced by a considerable
amount before the incorporation of these tests would be cost effective
in screening individuals. This paper has been accepted for publication
in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. Screening family members
for celiac disease

It is unclear whether a single screening of first and second degree
relatives of individuals with celiac disease is sufficient to identify
all the family members that have celiac disease. We therefore examined a
large database of family members of patients with celiac disease who had
undergone serological screening. We specifically found that among those
individual who were initially negative on blood testing 3.5% became
positive at a mean of 1.7 years. This applied to individuals of any age,
either gender and was irrespective of whether symptoms were present or
not. This study provides guidelines for physicians as to the frequency
of testing family members. Our study demonstrated there should be at
least one follow up screening of family members who are initially
negative three to five years after their initial test. This paper was
published in Digestive Diseases and Sciences, April 2007.