From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 14:14:36 -0700

Hi All--

Thank you, everyone, who replied to my question re:
the possible relationship of leg pain to CD or the
causes of leg pain. No two people gave the same
answer/thought/suggestion, which I thought was
interesting. This is what you had to say...

- See a rheumatologist
- Drink 4 oz. of black cherry juice (Knudsen's brand
was suggested) each day for 30 days.
- See a reputable naturopath
- GF diet helped.
- See an osteopath (good at evaluating muscle & joint
problems).
- Might be low on vitamins and minerals; see a
nutritionist
- Though testing did not reveal low thyroid, when
given Armour Thyroid, it helped with leg pain, dry
skin and hair, etc.
- Could be fibromyalgia or myofascial pain;
acupuncture helped most.
- Leg pain can be a sign of heart disease/problems.
- Might be deficient in Vit. B12 & folic acid.

and my personal favorite...

- complain to your doctor! (and I do have a wonderful
PCP who listens each time I complain about this
blasted pain...that's worth a lot!)

I think everyone's suggestions were great - I was
looking for things that I or my doc may not have
considered - and there were many. As for the
naturopath or nutritionist, I know of only one
nutritionist in my city and that person dispenses
their own brand of supplements. I believe there is a
good acupuncturist here, but don't know his/her name
(if anyone from Topeka knows, drop me an e-mail). I do
have a rheumatologist and he's as stumped as I am.

From what everyone wrote, I'm suspecting that once one
has been on a gf diet for a while, adequate nutrition
may be the issue. Though we may absorb nutrients
better, we may not be getting all we need of some
things due to the elimination of grains.

Thanks again...if I discover something else, I'll post
it.

Cheers,
Ayn