From:
"Aimee M. Bittinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:52:17 -0800

Thanks to all who replied on my question of the daycare's wheat-flour filled
sensory table.  Fortunately they cleaned it up by the next time I was in there
(I think it was getting too messy) but the whole situation made me wonder about
unavoidable wheat contact and how careful can we be?  the kids always have
crackers for snack, playdough made with flour, and lunch remnants all over them.
should I not kiss them or touch their hand?  in other settings, should I not
kiss someone intimately unless they have brushed their teeth?  and not walk by
the bakery aisle of bread and circus?  I mean this is making my life really
hard.  I know some say that you should do all this for your health but I guess
I'm just saying it's frustrating to live in this wheat-worshiping society.  even
at my gym I work out in front of Au Bon Pain, "good bread" in French.  I say "oh
great pain"...

suggestions for alternatives to wheat flour to play in:
cornmeal
corn starch
rice flour(in bulk)
sand
lentils
bean flour
basically anything that is gluten free.  there was a question of expense and I
think sand would be the cheapest but it's not quite the same.  some people
suggested wearing a mask but then I would touch it maybe so do I get rubber
gloves out too?  and are they powdered with flour?

There is a big debate over whether airborne wheat really affects you the best
explanation I can give is that odors are really small particles of a substance
floating in the air.  it is entirely possible that one would breathe it in.
Like second-hand cigarette smoke I guess.  not everything is filtered by the
nose so the mucus holding the flour particles is swallowed and goes to the small
intestine.  My understanding of it is that even a tiny amount of gluten can
cause pain in the gut, and damage to the villi.  also if the villi are damaged,
this increases your chance for getting lymphatic cancer.  so it would be wise to
avoid even a small amount.  -I'm not a doctor but this seems to make sense many
people feel they avoid so many things already that to be this careful is crazy.
I know people who do are strict and some relaxed.  some people are more
sensitive than others.  my feeling is that if you are getting sick and don't
know what it's from (me sometimes) then look for these strange factors.  I don't
think this convinced my roommate who thinks I'm crazy for not letting him bake
with wheat flour in the house but hey, all celiacs don't even agree.  sorry this
is quite long and opinionated but I thought if anyone, celiacs would agree and
listen.  good health to all

Aimee
-there is nothing that tastes as good as feeling good feels-