Date:
Thu, 3 May 2018 15:28:09 -0400

I love this resource and monitor it consistently, but I swore after my last post I would never post again.  Please don't flame me and I will NOT be summarizing anything.  This is an informational post only and I thought it was important enough to disseminate this information that I am braving the abuse that some few on this site feel is appropriate.  Most of you are truly wonderful. For those few who are not, please don't email me.  I won't respond.  Now to the information I have learned:

I was at a conference this weekend and Ford Motor Company had a display about their new eco-friendly cars. I don't remember which model is currently using this technology, but the rep said at this point it is only one car/SUV, but they could expand.  They are using soy-based foam (which I have no problem with) but are adding wheat pellets to the foam (I wasn't clear what their purpose was, but it is in the foam).  They are also using a wheat-straw based fiber for the backing on the new carpet.  I don't know if it will degrade and get airborne, or cause problems for most celiacs, but I don't know that it won't either.  I know I will absolutely not be purchasing one of these vehicles. Do your own research. Talk to your car rep.  The rep did say that dealers are informed as to which vehicles are using this modification.  I don't know if it is being used by other vehicle manufacturers.  It is just one more thing to be aware of when trying to keep our lives as gluten-free as possible. I didn't think I would ever have to ask if my car is gluten free :).