Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:12:16 -0500

You'll notice that some of those places are kid-friendly -- you'll especially love In-n-Out Burgers, because you won't get that stare as though you just asked for worms on your burger (when you ask for it without the bun). Protein-style is an accepted term. (I just learned that "animal style" means extra onions, lettuce, and tomato --NONE OF THESE TERMS ARE ON THEIR MENU!)

Sea World lately-- number is (619) 222-6363. I would call in advance & let them know that you're coming, ask about menu items, etc. We used to go every Friday when my kids were little, and I would always take food in.   ***Our 'Whole Foods' trip was for goodies to take to the Animal Park and SeaWorld.  They check bags at the gates -- but I would just say, "he has a restricted diet and can get deathly ill if he eats something with gluten in it" and that was enough to scare them into letting me go through with my goodies. So you might want to stop at the nearest store and load up on yogurt, fruit, string cheese, etc. and take it in with you.

Trader Joe's or a Henry's Marketplace (Owned by "Wild Oats")-- both are "healthy" stores (but they're not pricey like most) that carry a lot of GF foods. There's also a Whole Foods in La Jolla and one in the Hillcrest District on University Avenue. that sometimes has freshly baked GF muffins.

Founder, Raising Our Celiac Kids (R.O.C.K.)  Author: "Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children"  Author: "Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living" www.celiackids.com  National Spokesperson, Celiac Disease Awareness
- Albert's Restaurant @ San Diego Zoo
- Whole Food's markets have extensive delis
- El Pollo Loco: whole bone-in chicken & tomato based salsa
- Seau's @ Mission Valley
- Brigantine on Coronado Island
- Boat House on Coronado island
- Croce's in Gas Lamp District
- Edgewater Brill (in Seaport Village area)
- The Fishmarket ( " " " " )
- Sally's ( " " " " )
- Buster's ( " " " " ) and other locations
- Royal Thai (Gaslight District)
- Fred'son ( " " )
- Greystone the Steakhouse (Gaslight District)
- The Food Park (Horton Plaza)=20
Whole Foods in La Jolla is better, but there is one in Hillcrest near downtown.  Jimbo's in Del Mar has some gluten-free items. Henry's has several stores, They carry frozen gluten-free bread, and they have several locations. The one on Rosecrans is closest to Sea World. Trader Joe's is also great.  Thai restaurants and Mexican restaurants are good choices.