From:
"Susan Maller ()" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 1995 17:17:41 -0400

I am new to this list. I am 34 yrs old and have had a diagnosis of Celiac
Disease (since age 13 mos.) and Arthritis (since age 9).  I was
hospitalized many times during childhood.  I thought I "outgrew" the celiac,
but my new rheumatologist informed me that people don't actually outgrow
it and thinks that my arthritis may be
related to the Celiac.  I have always had some stomach problems, but
learned to live with it.  She says I might need to go back on the diet.
WOW!  I was so surprised, because I have been eating bread for years (even
though I was on the diet when I was a child).  So, anyway, I am waiting
to get in to see a GI doctor, because I want to know if I have it or
not.  My mom says she is sure that is what I had, and I also have
documented pancreatic deficiency (trypsin) related to the celiac (unless
it was all a misdiagnosis; I don't think they did biopsies back then),
but my mom says I responded to the diet, and "couldn't even eat one cherrio!"

For now, I am wondering about the following:

1) How can ice cream be gluten-free (such as Breyer's) if it has Vanilla
in it?

2) Does anyone know if Pace Picante has Gluten in it?

3) Can I have diet Pepsi?

4) What about La Choy Lite soy sauce?

5) Bumble Bee tuna packed in water?

6) What about Tylenol?

7) Does anyone have information regarding the association between
arthritis and Celiac Disease?

If anyone has any answers to these questions, please reply.  Thank you.

-Susan Maller