From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 11:25:37 PDT

>From a nonphyscian, here is some information on the issue about growing out of
CD.

Once a celiac, always a celiac.  The only time this is false is when there was
a misdiagnosis.  In the classis case where a biopsy shows the damage villi and
a good response is shown to the GF diet, the patient is a celiac.

In small children, there is one disease that gives a similar villi pattern,
but it does not response to the GF diet.

I will not say that we know everything about CD now but it is one of the few
accepted opinions that CD is for ever.  Years ago some celiacs were allowed to
go off the diet when they "grew" out of the disease.  Regretably, that written
information may still be available in some references.

I know a few celiacs who "grew" out of the disease and are now having problems
when it came back full force.  If anyone would like to have some offline
discussion on this matter, feel free to send email to my ID

Michael Jones
Living a wonderful, GF life in Orlando, FL