From:
"Becky W." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky W.
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:43:08 -0500

Thanks so much to all those who responded to my need for information
for Mundelein/Libertyville,IL.  Here is a summary of the responses I
received.  Thanks again to all.
Becky W.

In Lincolnshire (2 towns south of Mundelein) there are two restaurants on
Milwaukee Avenue and they are Wildfire and Flemings which both have
gluten free menus.  And if you want Chinese food and are willing to go a
little further south on Milwaukee there is Golden Chef.

We are from Naperville, IL, a western Chicago suburb, instead of northwest
like Libertyville.  Anyway, I have a few suggestions:
1.  Check out the Gluten Free Market
http://www.glutenfreemarket.com/
This has a retail store located in Buffalo Grove, IL which is close to
Libertyville.  Town Center Shopping Center at Lake Cook and Route 83 (Old
McHenry Road). You can get almost anything there.  Huge GF selection.

2.  I don't know where the closest Lou Malnatti's pizza is to Buffalo Grove,
but they are all over the Chicago suburbs.  Anyway, they have a "crustless"
pizza which is GF.  It is a deep dish pizza where the "crust" is made from
saussage fit to the pan and then filled w/ sauce, cheese and any other
toppings you request.  We just get it w/ cheese.

local stores:
- The local Dominicks and Jewel grocery stores have some GF stuff.... the
Jewel in Libertyville (on Milwaukee Ave, south of Rt 176 and north of Rt
60) has a nice section along the back wall (it's the only store in the area
that has my favorite 'Mary's Gone' crackers).
- Sunset Foods at Butterfield Rd/ Rt137 has lots and lots of GF stuff...
it's stacked on the shelves above the freezer cases...
http://www.sunsetfoods.com/
- The Corner Health Food Store in Mundelein (on Park St one block east of
Rt 45) and Murphy's Health Foods in Libertyville (downtown at the corner of
Milwaukee and Church) both have some stuff, but not as much as Sunset does
- There is an all GF store in Buffalo Grove, which is 6 or 8 miles south of
Mundelein
http://www.glutenfreemarket.com/retail_store.htm

Restaurants:
-My husband and I usually head to Lincolnshire when we eat out (south on
Milwaukee Ave to Apatistic (sp?)).  There is a Wildfire (steakhouse with GF
menu), Flemings (steakhouse with a GF info sheet on request), and Bin 36 (I
have dined there many times and 'trained' them about the GF thing!).
http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/index.htm
http://www.wildfirerestaurant.com/index.htm
http://www.bin36.com/restaurant.html
The closest Outback is north in Gurnee (never been).
-We go out to our local sushi place once a week... Osaka (Butterfield and
Rt 60).  They stock San-J wheat free Tamari for me.  I am carefull to order
things I know do not have any soy-sauce (just sashimi and sushi usually)
and ask for no crab (they use the fake stuff which might have wheat) in
maki rolls.
- I have dined successfully at The Tavern in downtown Libertyville, but
have not really tried any other Mund/Lib restaurants since going GF.
- You'll find lots of places like Chilis, Firday's, etc.. over by the Mall
at Rt 60 and Milwaukee Ave... if your are comfortable trying places like
that.

Restaurants:
My wife and I don't really eat out that much.  We do like to go to the
Outback Steakhouse in Gurnee just north of Libertyville on Grand Avenue.
They take very good care of this there with the Gluten Free menu and how
they handle everything in the kitchen.  There address is: 5652 Northridge
Dr, Gurnee, IL.  Tel: (847)
599-1300

There is a Sunset Foods store in Libertyville on the corner of Rte. 60 and
Butterfield Rd. with a great selection of gluten free food They have an
excellent deli with Boar's Head meats

 There is also a Wildfire restaurant with a gluten free menu on Milwaukee
Ave. in Lincolnshire (town next to Libertyville).

Cub foods in Mundelein also has some gf
foods. The ice cream store by Cub foods has carried gluten free cones
in their store, too! I know they had them last summer.

There is an Outback restaurant in Buffalo Grove at Lake Cook Rd just
east of Arlington Heights Rd, a Wildfire (they have a gluten free
menu) and a Cheesecake Factory on Milwaukee Ave. in Lincolnshire.
They have a flourless cheesecake, too!  In Vernon Hills you can eat
at Chili's (there are 2 dinners that are gluten free, but not with gf
pastas. There is a Famous Dave's barbecue on Rt 60 where they have a
gluten free ingredients list they can show you. You order the ribs
with seasoning only and there are one or two approved sauces that you
can use over them. Dont eat the corn muffiin; it contains wheat
flour! Be sure to always speak with a manager before ordering.

---Panera Bread off of Milwaukee Ave. south of downtown Libertyville.
The Asian Chicken Salad without wantons is GF. Also, several of their
soups are GF.