From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:27:43 -0400

Thank you for your responses to my inquiry about whether blue cheese is acceptable for celiacs.

Your responses indicated that blue cheese in the past was started on bread, but these days in most cases, it is not.  It is your responsibility to check with the manufacturer.  Here are some of the blue cheeses that our listmates listed as gf:

Boar's Head's product list indicates that all of their cheeses are GF. I'm
assuming that includes their blue cheese, but you can double check on their
Blue Cheese by calling 800-352-6277. Their customer service rep, Diane Lisk,
is very knowledgeable and helpful.
_____
Some high volume products (like salad dressing) are made
with artificial flavor rather than allowing the growth of
mold to flavor the cheese, and are more likely to be gluten free.
Lots of cheese products in this group are gluten free, but the
only way to be sure is to contact the manufacturer.
_____
We use Treasure Cave blue cheese (Stop & Shop in CT) with no
problems. I also get it in Publix in FL.
____
I've found that there are some blue cheeses that are ok for celiacs. You
just have to be careful with each individual manufacturer. If they're
made from bread mold, then they're NOT ok. One of the ok ones, at least
last I checked, was Treasure Cave. Also Clan Thompson says that Boar's
Head Blue Cheese is ok. Also Stella brand. One of my favorite
restaurants, Sullivan's, makes a wedge smothered in Blue Cheese dressing
(using Stella). Only problem is I don't have the original source for my
remarks and I'm on my way to work. But I would do some research from the
archives of the ListServ. Perhaps that's where I got them...or I may
have gotten in touch with the manufacturer. All I do know is that I've
not had any reactions.
_____
I just had T. Marzetti's brand blue cheese dressing with my buffalo wings for lunch that was very yummy! I only know that you can get it at Pizza hut...not sure where else!
_____
I recently discovered, on the delphiforum.com/ celiac, that
most blue cheeses are o.k. now. They no longer use bread in the process.
Here is one of the messages from Mireille, and if you go there, do a
search on blue cheese. You can read what more posters have to say.
Always remember though, if you aren't sure, better not to eat it.

"...almost all blue cheeses are GF.  About 99% of them use injections
with a kind of mold not started on bread.  The bread mold was the old
way, many years ago, and even then, no one proved that there was gluten
left on the finished product (and no prove that there was not gluten
either)."

I was thrilled, since I haven't eaten blue cheese for a very long time.
I went and bought a small piece of Kraft's blue cheese and no problem.
Kraft discloses gluten on their labels, so that was also another shot of
confidence.
____
I know that Roquefort is definitely out (mold cultured
on bread- wow do we miss that cheese), but had heard
that Bel Gioso (sp?) might be okay.

That's it folks.  I apologize for not checking the archives before I asked my question about blue cheese.  One response I got only told me to "check archives!"  I apologize if I wasted anyone's time with my inquiry.

Thanks for your time and thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Lori in Virginia