From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:35:46 -0500

I finally found my mother's rice pudding recipe which was so very
popular during the Depression......real comfort food

Grease a glass 9x13 pyrex dish with solid shortening.

Preheat oven to 300 degress

1/2 cup long grain white rice
1/2 cup sugar
1 can evaporated milk, diluted to make one qt [must use evaporate milk]
1 cup raisins
1 teas vanilla extract
1/4 teas salt
cinnamon to taste

place all ingredients except cinnamon in pan.  Sprinkle top with
cinnamon [geneously]  At least once during the baking, stir cinnamon
crust into the rice.  Since we loved the crust, she would reapply the
cinnamon.  Let bake until rice is tender....depending on age of rice and
over, can take around 1 1/2 hours.   Let cool and serve either warm or
cold.