From:
Bob & Carol Child <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob & Carol Child <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 20:23:14 -0600

Members,
    Thanks once again for coming through for my daughter.  We received
many messages.  Some with new thoughts and others that support what
we've already been thinking.  I will try to be brief in my summary, but
I still have the messages and if any of you would like to receive a
longer version just let me know.
  1.  Remove soy - it is a common allergen.  One person uses DariFree as
a gfcf soy
       free milk substitute.
  2.  One person suffering from fatigue was found to have mitochondrial
myopathy and now does
       well taking Coenzyme Q-10 and L- Carnitine, under a doctors
supervision.
  3.  Many said to keep looking for a good doctor who will listen to the
problems.  Thyroid levels
       may be just into the normal range and still have thyroid disease.

  4.  Get checked for other things - chronic fatigue, lupus, depression,
sleep disorder, etc
  5.  Give up sugar
  6.  Use iodized salt.
  7.  Take a natural thyroid extract.
  8.  Go to thyroid.about.com
  9.  Read The Fungus Link by Doug A. Kaufmann (www.iknowthecause.com)
 10.  May by candida.
 11.  B-12 injections once a month
 12.  Check for hidden gluten.
 13.  Too much kelp, seaweed, etc can shut down thyroid.
 14.  Look for environmental factors - chemicals, new carpeting, etc.
 15.  Begin to write everything down in order to observe all the little
nagging doubts
        about her health.
 16.  Provigil seems to be helping persons with chronic, debilitating
illnes manage life
        quality issues & fatigue.
 17.  Get an appointment at a medical school if there is one close
enough.
 18.  Read When Your Body Gets the Blues
 19.  Try a diet low in carbs and polyunsaturated oils which can depress
the thyroid.
        Use virgin coconut oil or MCT oil.
 20.  Try acupuncture - make sure the person is licensed and reputable.
 21.  Try the Paleo diet.
 22.  Have nutrient testing done.
 23.  I heard from 2 people in the Denver area who gave me their phone
numbers, so if Kristi
       decides she wants to go that direction, they will help us with
ideas.

     There were so many good ideas.  Your support means so much to her.
Sometimes she feels like she is the only person in the world who is soo
tired, but your encouragement helps.
     For now she will give up soy.  I hope she will start a journal
about how she is feeling - that was a wonderful idea.  Even when you are
feeling well you forget little things that seems unimportant, but for
someone so fatigued it would be very helpful to write everything down as
it happens.  (But she says, "I'm too tired to write it down!"  True -
but maybe she'll try it anyway.)  She's also going in to visit my GP.
He has never dealt with my celiac, but he is a very caring, capable
doctor so maybe he can give her some ideas about where to go from here.
(He's moving soon so she didn't want to tell him the whole story and
then have to start from scratch with another Dr.)
     Once again, thank you so much for your help and encouraging words.
           Carol