From:
Chase Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:30:46 EST

With so many wonderful things being written about Kefir lately,
I decided to sample some again, knowing full well that I have had difficulty
digesting it in the past.  Sure enough, I had a lactose intolerant type
reaction to only 1/4 cup of it.
So here is my question:
Is it at all normal for it to take time for a celiac digestive system to
adjust to digesting Kefir?
I had Helios brand, plain.  I have deliberated for a year now as to whether I
am actually lactose intolerant, casein allergic, and/or both. I also have
problems with mold and therefore stay away from aged cheeses.  I digest heavy
cream just fine, and a limited amount of butter.
If I am casein allergic, would Kefir also be out for me?
I do realize that Kefir contains milk protein (casein), but I was hoping that
it would be digestible in this more palatable form.
Please let me know of similar experiences and suggestions.
Thank you so much!