Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:55:27 -0500

Sorry folks Part II got rejected for length, so I will call them
 Part II/A  and Part II/B
Could it be that you are taking too much Calcium?
+++++++++
Hello--I was diagnosed with Celiac almost 4 years ago and have been GF for about 3 years.  I was wondering what caused your osteo problems.  I thought being on a gluten free diet would prevent these type of problems.  I am lactose intolerant as well, so I hardly get any calcium anymore.  Could this lead to those kind of problems, that you know of?  I have noticed my joints hurt more than they used too, especially my knees.  Also, what types of things do you eat now, since you are GF, dairy free, and can't have carbs.  How do you determine that you can't have carbohydrates?  Sorry lots of questions...

++++++++++++++
I saw an endocrinologist for my osteoporosis for about a year before finding out my celiac diagnosis. First, I had several 24 hour urine samples that did show I was losing calcium (blood calcium was high). Then he checked my vitamin D level and it was so low it was almost non existent. I took heavy doses of vitamin D for a number of months and with very little success. At that point I had the blood work for celiac. I am not sure what else to tell you--why the vitamin D doesn't kick in. The only thing I can think of is whether it gets digested. If you never or very rarely ever have heart burn, you may need HCL. Yes, that's right, hydrochloric acid. We need acid to digest our food and lots of celiac folks don't have enough. I try to take one capsule with each meal. I do forget, but I try. I get mine from my local health food store. I'm sure you could find it online too.

As for fibromyalgia, do you also have TMJ in your jaw? Does your jaw get tight and you grind and clench your teeth at night? I didn't know I had it until my dentist started to do some reconstructive work. Once I found out what it was and what to do, lots of things opened up in my back too. I don't have fibromyalgia but I want to tell you of a book that might help. It has a whole chapter on it with exercises and pressure points, (not medication) and you can understand the relationship between the muscles of the body. It is written by a dentist. It is good.

Taking Control of TMJ. Your Total Wellness Program for Recovering from Temporomandibular Joint Pain, Whiplash, Fibromyalgia, and Related Disorders. by Robert O. Uppgaard, D.D.S. My copy is paperback and I got it from Amazon.com for about $15.
+++++++++++++++
I also have osteoporosis and take calcium with D and a multivitamin with D, probably the equivalent of 1200 mg. but I am still deficient in vitamin D. It is probably not beingabsorbed by the body. I also take Didronel for 2 weeks every three months because I can't tolerate fosamax or actonel.
I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, having had a positive tilt table test and fibromyalgia as well. My blood pressure fluctuates but has been as low as 58/40.  I also try to increase my salt intake and in the summer when it seems to be more of a problem I drink Smart Water by Glaceau because it contains electrolytes, calcium, magnesium etc.
I was on atenolol, a blood pressure med to try to increase my pressure but it only made me feel worse.
I was alos at one point diagnosed with polmyalgia rheumatica and was on steroids for 2 years. I think these were all misdiagnoses.
I am still healing from the celiac even almost three years after starting the diet. My arthritic and rheumatic pains are better but not totally gone. I think celiac affects a lot more bodily systems than is accepted at present.
I have never been told I have calcium in the urine.  Being on a high protein and lo carb diet will affect the kidneys if you don't drink  a lot of water.
Do you get a reaction from plain brown rice or kasha or quinoa?

Yes, I also was losing calcium in the urine. I also have a problem with an imbalance of fluid in my ears and the otologist wanted me to take the HCTZ for that also, so I have been on it for about a year or so now.  I also tend to have low blood pressure (not quite as low as yours, though!) so my first reaction to the HCTZ was not good.  It seemed to make all my dizziness even worse.  The otologist said that was not unusual and so we had to go to a lower dose while my body adjusted to it...and now I am fine with the 25 mg dose that I needed.
I am due for my next bone density this summer so it will be interesting to see if this has helped.Part II /A and Part II/B