From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 1995 22:16:22 -0700

Jane Oswaks - in reply to an earlier question:

> Quinoa and Buckwheat are definitely gluten free.  Amaranth and teff, I don't
> know too much about, but tend to think they are not.

*Please* folks - if you don't *know* the answer, don't answer! *Especially*
when there are *many* people on this forum who can give the newbies the
*correct* information that they so desperately need!

"Tend to think" is *not* an acceptable answer for this forum! I know we
all say "better safe than sorry" - but a celiac's life is tough enough.

Amaranth was one of my staple grains when I was first taken off
gluten-grains; at the time, it was the only alternative grain around that
I could find and get baking recipes for...

None of the grains/pseudo grains above have been fully characterized, *BUT*

Sometime back, Don Kasarda (a *very* busy USDA grain chemist, who is a
celiac's best friend ;-) graciously offered a copy of his "grain letter"
to those who e-mailed him. The grain letter talks about safe and unsafe
grains for celiacs, based on both testing and the grain's taxonomy.

By now, that gem should have made its way into the archives. If it's not
there - can someone please *put* it there? (Are you listening, Mike?)

For those of you who don't know - Don Kasarda is the USDA grain chemist
who does the research on the toxic prolamine sequences that muck up our
bodies. He has been an invaluable ally and asset for the Celiac groups in
the U.S.

karen

[log in to unmask]   (proud mommy of 6 month old Erin, the wonder-girl)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"