From:
Timber Sales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:48:54 +1000

List Members,

Thank you for the responses concerning my question about four bean flour.
 I did not receive any answers from anyone in OZ so I suppose that means
that no one can help me here.  A few suggestions were to buy the beans and
grind them myself.  The problem with that is I cannot find one particular
type of bean or flour, Sorghum Flour.  I've been told by health food stores
that Sorghum in Australia is grown for cattle and not for human
consumption.  So back to the drawing board.  I have a brother and sister
that live in Washington State and Calif, so I'll try and have them bring
some down with them the next time they visit.  I did appreciate the
response from the gentleman in Germany saying they also have the same
problem getting these types of flours in Europe.  He suggested, as others
did,  buying different flours from Asian/Indian shops and trying them.  I
have bought flours from Asian shops, but one question:

Is there a difference between potato flour and potato starch?  Like wise
with tapioca flour and tapioca starch.  I found a pkg of potato flour from
Germany in the store and the ingredients listed were potato starch.
Confused?   Betty Hagman says potato starch flour is a fine white flour and
keeps well and can be bought in quantity.  Potato four is a heavy flour and
needs to be refrigerated. Very little is needed in her Featherlight Rice
Flour Mix.  This is the mix I thought I would try first, because I can get
the ingredients here.  I'm not sure if there is a translation problem from
different countries concerning the starch and flour term.

I hope I've made myself clear, because I'm confused, I don't know how well
I'm getting this across.  Any information would be appreciated.  Looking
forward to a nice tasting piece of bread.

Thank you,
Leila Buik
NSW Australia