From:
Beth Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:07:52 -0600

	I read with interest Moira's Sheehan's recent post about the weevil's
in the grain products.

I found the CURE and we celiacs need to know this since we are probably
keeping plenty of grains and flours on hand.

Many years ago I read a small article buried in the back pages of the
Kansas City Star reporting that one of the chemists at Kansas State
University had isolated the compound in the peels of cucumbers that was
a repellent to roaches.  I read this with interest since my husband had
been a faculty member there and I knew many of the faculty members.  I
tried it.

And it works wonderfully.  Why isn't this publicized?  The chemical
companies who sell the pesticides would not want the world to know
about this.  I'm sure somebody was silenced.

Here's the procedure....peel the cucumbers, Put the peels on small
pieces of foil or paper towels and put some on each shelf in the
kitchen cabinets.  (they get dry and hard, but don't discard them)
...Voila, bugs all gone, no roaches and no weevils.  I've never had
roaches, but anyone can bring them home unknowingly from the grocery
store.   I have also put them behind the basement appliances and the
crickets in a moist Missouri basement went elsewhere.    It
does not work for spiders or ants.  But if you do this you'll never
have another creepy critter in your foods.  Leave the peels
indefinitely and about once a year replenish them, but no need to throw
out the old ones...they seem to be effective for a long long time.

According to my daughter, this has one drawback....you tend to get a
little bit sloppy about cleaning the cabinets, because you know that
you aren't going to get any bugs!!!  My husband, who doesn't like
cucumbers comments when he sees me unloading the groceries, "I see
you've bought more pesticides!"

GF recipe for ther remainder of the cukes....1 peeled and sliced cuke,
1 sliced large onion, 1/2 cup each water and vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar and
2 T Italian (oil and vinegar dressing, use a GF one.) Delicious...he
eats the onion and I eat the cucumbers.  Enjoy your bug free cubbards!

Beth in MO