From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:40:56 -0700

Lots of information--thanks to all.  I had had a reaction to the Safeway product that said it was gluten free altho it contained 10ppm of gluten so I was looking for a 100% gluten free product. Here are the responses:

1. Nothing on earth is “Gluten Free.”  The air we breathe is not “Gluten Free.”  At 10 ppm it is as Gluten Free as Gluten Free food products get.  The most sensitive measuring instruments on earth for gluten have an error factor of plus or minus up to 5 ppm, so 10 ppm is way down in the weeds.  Nothing is zero.  If you had a reaction, it was not to the gluten here.  You might well have an allergy to wheat, but the wheat dextrin did not trigger it.  It has nothing to do with the part of the grain that produces gluten.

2.  I have been using ground flax seeds. I buy the whole seed and grind it in a coffee grinder that I have dedicated to small seeds, herbs & spices.

3.  Some people use psyllium husks or psyllium seeds for fiber.  Some brands say GF.  I buy it at Whole Foods.

4.  I've been using Vitafusion Fiber Well Gummies for a few years now with no problem. I just bought another one today and they are listed as gluten free on the back label. I got mine at Target but I think drug stores and possibly Costco also carry them.

5.  Fiber Smart made by Renew Life Co. The Serving Size is four capsules taken with eight ounces of water in the morning and may be repeated at midday and evening if needed.

6.  Benefiber is inulin and a source of fiber and is gluten free. Another person said it was not gluten free so make sure to check!

7.  I use Organic India organic whole husk psyllium that I bought in Whole Foods for about $12 for 12 oz. can. Psyllium is the only ingredient, the can is labeled gluten-free.

8.  I take Citrucel - sugar free for bulk.  Ingredients: aspartine, dubasic calcium phosphate, FD&C yellow #6, malic acid, maltodextrin, orange flavors, potassium citrate, riboflavin.  Contains phenylalanine 52mg per adult dose. Contains: Methylcellulose 2g. I have nothing but good results.

9.  Try Konsyl!

10. You might want to try flax or chia seeds. http://www.realfoodallergyfree.com/2011/05/which-is-better-chia-or-flax/ Whole Foods carries them or I'm sure you can find them online.

11. Vitamin Shoppe and Swanson Vitamins were mentioned as places to order online.