From:
Connie Maltin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Maltin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 02:20:14 -0400

Thank you to everyone who wrote such kind words about the reply I made about
the posting to write Whole Foods about not having a designated GF section.
 I had many replies when I opened my mail this morning, all positive about
how they love shopping at Whole Foods and that they don't mind the way that
items there are displayed, and they are just grateful that they have a Whole
Foods option.  Most felt that they are familiar enough with the store to go
in and find what they want in each section in a timely manner.  They enjoy
seeing and learning about new foods by strolling the aisles.  Everyone said
their local WFM puts all the like items together, such as GF pasta with the
pastas, GF baking mixes in the baking aisle, etc. Some mentioned this is the
way it is for all foods in general markets.  Canned foods together, produce
together, frozen together, etc. The general feeling seems to be from the
people that replied to me was that if the GF foods are placed together, we
would never see many wholesome foods that are naturally GF.  One person
stated, this could cause a real mess if markets started having separate
sections for no gluten, no nuts, no dairy, no soy -- you get the point???
 One helpful suggestion was that WF could place a marker on the shelf if the
food is GF, as some health food stores do.   One person travels extensively
and likes to stop at Whole Foods around the country because they are stocked
similarly so she knows where to look for the items they need for the RV.
Many posters stated - "don't rock the boat" or "if it ain't broke don't fix
it".  Several said we need to save our complaints for when they are really
needed for help.  Several said for those of us that have been GF for many
years, we appreciate everything that is available to us now and really
appreciate the work that a major store has done to make us comfortable.
Several people stated that they have taken many of the free GF cooking
classes that are offered by Whole Foods.  Some locations have offered  "GF
Days" with free samples and cooking demonstrations.
One gentleman had a very good suggestion if you have access to a military
commissary for another option. Although he liked shopping at Whole Foods, he
stated that he can find many of the same items on base for much less money.
 He also said " I ask the manager one day why they carry all these g/f
foods and thanked him over and over. He said "These are all organic foods
and better for the troops and many people now prefer them!"
So this is a good reason why stores do not have separate GF sections, but by
integrating the items is it purchased by more of the general public, who
will start to buy them. Maybe this could be beneficial to us in the long run
by keeping costs under control??  Many of the responders said this makes
them feel more "normal" to go down the aisles like everyone else, and this
way they find new things to try.
Anyway, I hope everyone finds their favorite place to shop, and that we are
all positive in our thoughts toward a more healthy life.  Thanks to all who
replied.

--
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Have a great one folks!

*******