From:
Linda Scalice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:00:28 EST

Hi,
I read the two opposing items about the Bloomin' Onion at Outback on my list
tonight. I checked the Outback list that I have. It was compiled with the
help of the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) a couple of years ago. The
bloomin' onion is not listed as GF on it.
To double check, I called my brother. He is a food tech for Outback. As a
food tech, he is responsible for quality control in the kitchens, he visits
the units in his assigned area, assists the kitchen managers, trains the
kitchen personnel in new units as they open, etc.
I asked him whether or not the bloomin' onion is GF. He told me that it is
definitely NOT GF! It is coated in a wet mixture and then a dry mixture
before being fried. The dry mixture contains wheat flour. He wouldn't give me
all the secret ingredients, but unfortunately for us, one of them is flour.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Linda on Long Island, NY