From:
Jessica Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:30:03 -0500

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. I really
appreciate it. I had asked about my slightly elevated WBC count.
Your answers varied. I got some good advice from a med student
who suggested I check what my WBC count was in a previous year's
blood test. It turned out that it was at almost the same level,
so I feel better about what my dr. said. I've included her
comments below, along with one other from a hematologist.
Thanks again,
Jessica
I am a med student and we learn that although the "normal" WBC
is 4-11
thousand, this varies greatly from person to person--and even
within a
person with a blood draw, an infection, etc as noted. Unless you
have a
baseline WBC count from before in a state of health--- that is
significantly lower than this, it should be nothing to worry
about.
Elevated counts of automatic concern are much higher than this!
I am a hematologist and can tell you that you should not be
concerned with
your WBC count if everything else was normal. Usually when there
is an
increase in WBC is usually caused by an infection, or cold. The
WBC are
trying to fight off the infection.