From:
Jo & Gary Kaplan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:26:59 +0200

I received 10 responses to my question as to whether there
was any connection of Tinea Versicolor to DH.  Here are the
essence of the responses.  I still find this VERY interesting,
and I think there is some relationship (5 of these were
Tinea and gluten-intolerant!), although with some differences
(and some similarities) in manifestation.

Jo in Israel

-----------

1.  My daughter has this condition and is a celiac but does not have DH.

2.  Tinea versicolor is cause by a fungus.  I know.  I had it when I was

younger.  I have another cousin who had a problem with it and as far as
I know he doesn't have gluten problems.

3.  My ex had tinea versicolor, which is a fungus.  I suspect he had
gluten problems, so it would be interesting if there is a link.

4.  Have him get tested . . .  as both sons have it

5.  I am a woman with tinea (also a celiac)

6.  I have had Tinea Vesacolor for years and have gotten rid of it
finally on a gluten free diet.  No signs of it for 1 year now. I had it
for 25 years.

7.  I have DH (diagnosed last Oct.), and I've had for the last few years
a problem of what was diagnosed as a photosensitivity from the sun in
the spring and beginning of summer.  As I continue in the sun, it
eventually goes away.  It is a fine, red rash and doesn't sound like
what I just read (after your introducing me to the term) about tinea
versacolor.  (I'm sure you're familiar with the Dr. Stoll archives web
site: http://bcn.net/~stoll/archives/tinea.html.)   I'm wondering if
these things are simply different results of an immune system not
working perfectly.