From:
Caryn Gottfried <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caryn Gottfried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:38:49 -0700

    Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my email asking about having an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time.  I had around 140 responses which were so helpful, supportive and encouraging. (I wish I could reply to everyone individually).

Only one person advised against doing the procedures together because her doctor thought there would be too much air in the stomach; another thought she might have gotten hiatal hernia from the procedure.  Everyone else said it was so much easier to have both the endoscopy and colonoscopy together.  Most people recommended being sure I was given enough anesthesia so that I wouldn't remember most of it.  (In the past, during my two previous colonoscopies, I have been fairly awake- but since the endoscopy scares me, I probably do need more anesthesia).

Many people also stated that, by far, the worst part for them was the colonoscopy prep.  My San Francisco doctor, Dr. Jeffrey Aron, has given me OSMOPREP (I am scheduled to have the procedures on May 5th, Monday).  These are tablets.
My pharmacist said that there are OTHER choices of prep including MOVIE PREP, HALF LIGHTLY, AND NEW LIGHTLY.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a prep (are they basically the same), and what liquid to use?  Four years ago, for my colonoscopy, I used Seven Up and I was extremely nauseous for hours.  I am also concerned because currently, I have no appetite and some diarrhea, so I am in a weakened state to begin with.  (By the way, my celiac panel is totally normal now after 5 years on the gluten free diet).  I am hoping nothing is seriously wrong with me.  This is scary!

Thanks again for your outpouring of support.  It was so comforting.

Caryn Gottfried