From:
tjsolhjem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tjsolhjem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:31:42 -0500

Thanks to all the responses to my question about supplying adequate
nutrition for my 18 mo old daughter since she has gone GF now and is also
off dairy (hopefully only temporarily).  Just as an update~I am already
seeing an improvement in her diarrhea, which seems to be strange for her
because in her 18 months, the last 8 she has had diarrhea constantly, so
without getting graphic, that first "normal" BM was a little uncomfortable
for her!
*First, I realized after I posted this that in Danna Korn's book "Kids with
Celiac Disease" has a great chapter written by a registered dietician that
was very comprehensive.  But I also got lots of other good ideas from you
that I'll share:

1)I would suggest you to go to this other excellent site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
There are good and knowledgeable people there to answer your questions, and
Abigail's gf food list. VERY INFORMATIVE!!

2)You are smart woman and you made a right decision~THANKS!!

3)If I had an 18 month old I'd probably find a good dietitian to help me
replace some of the things we miss, like folic acid, vitamin E (which is
heavy in wheat germ), and some of the things that the milk and the foods we
can't eat are fortified with.

4)Heidi sent TONS of good info that I hadn't considered...namely about how
most of the wheat products our culture uses are very non-nutritious
anyhow~boy do I agree with that!!  (AND BTW, Shey does love cabbage, imagine
that!)

5)A book called The Fungus Link may help you discover what is troubling your
daughter. www.iknowthecause.com/index.htlm  Many of our symptoms over lap-I
WILL LOOK INTO THAT!

6)Rice should be a fine substitute for your daughter.
If you are taking her off dairy, please don't use soy. Almond milk might be
nice. It's easy to make. (I WILL TRY THIS~I HAD BOUGHT SOME COMMERCIAL
ALMOND MILK BUT SHE WOULDN'T HEAR OF IT!)Soak some almonds overnight (maybe
1/2 cup or so)
Next day blend them with 2 cups of water
Add honey or maple syrup (just a little) to taste.
Strain through a metal strainer. I use a single strainer - for really
smooth, you can use a cloth. Adapt your recipe with more water or more
almonds to your taste. Give her some fruits and veggies. She should be fine.
BETTER ALREADY!!

7) If your physician is willing to give you support/advice on maintaining a
gf/cf diet for your daughter, that's great!  However, I don't think (imho)
that it's absolutely necessary for them to supervise such a diet if they
aren't willing to support your efforts.  I know my son's pediatrician thinks
I'm a quack for putting him on a gf/cf diet (for autism).  Obviously, I did
it on my own.  I have seen good results in the past 5 wks since we started
the diet.  He is actually eating much better.  As far as supplementing
vitamins, minerals, etc. there are good children's vitamins that are free of
gluten and casein.  You can even get them in a
liquid or chewable form for younger kids.  I know Schiffs makes a liquid and
so does another brand that's well-known (I'm thinking it's called PoliVisol,
with the mother rabbit on front).  For more info on gf/cf vitamins and other
foods go to www.gfcfdiet.com.  It has lots of good info. THANKS~I DON'T KNOW
HOW MY DR WILL REACT, BUT OH WELL!  THAT'S WHY I'M SO GLAD I HAVE YOU ALL AS
A RESOURCE!!

8) Have you read a book called Breaking the Vicious Cycle? Here's a link to
the basic diet, though if you decide it's what you want to try, I suggest
getting the book. Be warned, the author calls "fanatical compliance" to the
diet necessary for at least one year after the last symptom goes away. For
myself, the term fanatical compliance disturbs me. But for my kids, I'd
likely do anything, and fanaticism doesn't sound that hard at all, as far as
me doing things for them. Just wanted to warn you about that part.

<http://www.healingcrow.com/dietsmain/scd/scd.html>

9)NUTRAMGEN FORMULA IS GLUTEN FREE BUT DAIRY FREE I DON'T KNOW  GIVE HER
RICE MILK THE WESTBRAE IS GLUTEN FREE  IT'S GOOD YOU ARE TAKING CHARGE , I'M
PROUD OF YOU, THOSE UNINFORMED DRS DON'T KNOW SQUAT, I FINALLY FOUND A GREAT
ONE AND HE'S NOT A GASTRO I WON'T GO BACK TO SEE THOSE HORRIBLE GUYS WHO
CLAIM TO BE DOCTORS. JUST REMEMBER DOCTORS ARE PRACTICING PHYSICIANS I
WONDER WHEN THEY'LL GET IT LEARNED ~Sheyenne wouldn't even think of drinking
Nutramigen, it does smell quite nasty so I don't blame her! :)  I am getting
to feel the way you do about Dr's.  The only ped GI in our state told me to
take her home and enjoy her!  "We don't judge a person's health by what
their poop looks like!"

10)I hate to send you to a nutrition store, but perhaps your family doctor
might be willing to give you a referral to the nearest Hospital Dietitian,
her schooling includes nutrition. I know for a fact she will need some form
of calcium and Vitamin D supplement, but I wouldn't know where to start for
a toddler.  You might be able to work with a health store nutritionist, but
I would make sure that she/he is trained and registered to give out this
kind of advice.  And maybe you can just tell your pediatrician that she IS
on these diet restrictions, and if he won't help with nutrition, find
another doctor.  There is no crime in seeking second opinions or changing
doctors, after all, you have to be the one looking out for your child's
health.   OR 4th or 5TH RIGHT?!? :)  I AM FINALLY DOING THIS BEFORE GOING TO
THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL 4 HOURS AWAY!!

11)The dairy will be the only problem. Not a lot of things you really need
in wheat products. There are several good books on raising children with
allergies that can give you lots of information.  Check your library to see
what they have.

12) I have designed a database which allows me to keep track of the
nutrients I consume, which I would be happy to share with you if you have
time and patience to use it.  I expect you will get good information from
dietitians or Doctors, though, as it is so important to you, particularly as
you can't use dairy for your little girl

13)use this website to plug in a typical days worth of eating(or more) for
your daughter and see what nutrients are low and then can search for foods
high in this nutrient.
www.usda.gov/cnpp/ ~WOW!  WHAT AN AWESOME RESOURCE....I'M GONNA DO IT FOR MY
WHOLE FAMILY

I hope this didn't get too long, I really wanted to share all the vital info
I got with you!  Thanks again for everything! God Bless You All!
Jana