From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:01:21 -0500

With turkey leftovers in the frig, I craved turkey pot pie. Because I used two breasts (halves) and cooked them on top of a mound of stuffing, I had no gravy for my leftovers tonight. (And I made the stuffing way too spicey, so we're chucking it. I can't give you amounts, because it all depend upon how much leftover turkey you have.  But this is a recipe you can expand or cut down and really can't kill.

Set aside diced, cooked turkey. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Saute in a little oil in a large frying pan...diced carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions. I added fresh dill and skipped the garlic. Usually, I'd add crushed garlic cloves. After the veggies cook down a bit and smell good, toss in a few spoonfuls of gf flour, stir to coat sort of evenly, then add some chicken soup or stock (or water) and stir to thicken. I peeled and cubed some leftover baked potatoes (from last night) and added them to the mix. Add salt and pepper. Stir. Shut heat, while you make the rest.

In a large bowl, I followed the directions for buttermilk biscuits on the Bisquick box, but I only had enough for one recipe's worth, and I needed double, so I took a box of all-purpose gf flours, and added a couple of teaspoons of baking powder, a quarter teaspoon (approx) baking soda and four (about) teaspoons of sugar, and a sprinkle of salt, and mixed it all together.  (I'm not being original. This was on that package.) Then I used non-dairy margerine for the butter and cut it into the flour until the flour was in clumps the size of peas. Then added the amount of eggs (beaten) called for on the bisquick box, plus one extra for the other recipe (total of four, in this case), and the amount of liquid that was called for in both recipes. I used water in place of the milk.

I found that as I mixed it (by hand with a thick plastic spoon), I needed to add more flour to make the dough thicken. (The consistency that I was happy with was that of soft ice cream. Stood away from the walls of the bowl, but wasn't thick enough to roll out. )

In a large baking pan, I mixed the diced turkey, the veggies from the frying pan, frozen peas, and stirred well.  Then I plopped the dough on top and smoothed it out so it touched the sides of the pan. I baked it until the top of the dough was getting lightly browned. I guess it took about a half hour. Everything else was still warm and cooked, so it really is just a matter of letting the biscuit dough cook...and absorb juices.

This was absolutely delicious and the dough top did not taste gluten-free. I keep finding more uses for the Bisquick!

*******
*******