From:
Mary Welsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Welsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:50:59 -0500

I recently discovered an unsuspected trigger for my neuro symptoms, and
thought some of you might benefit from this information.
  A bit of background-
I have been GF for 3 years.  About a year and a half ago, I had a sudden
attack of numbness that started on the right side of my face, outer right
arm, and outer right fingers, outer side of right leg, and the two smallest
toes on right foot.  Oddly enough, my left little toe was numb too.  I went
to the emergency room, to rule out stroke, just in case.  They kept me for
three days, did all kinds of tests, CAT scan, MRI, heart and artery tests,
etc.  The only thing they found was some white matter lesions on my MRI,
which are common for celiacs.  No stroke, etc.
  I was referred to a neurologist, who did more testi
ng, to rule out MS.
The spinal fluid was negative for MS.
  A month after the first attack, I had a second.  The first time, the
numbness lasted a couple weeks.  The second time, it lasted a week.
For the next few months, it came and went.  This fall, I realized that I
hadn't had any trouble over the summer months, so started paying attention
to things I only do in fall/winter.  One day, my nose was really dry.  I
got out the vaseline (petroleum jelly), and applied some to my nostrils.
Within 10 minutes, I had the numbness back!  I waited a few weeks, and
tested this again.  BINGO!  Petroleum jelly, or petrolatum, is listed as a
neurotoxin, yet it is in Chapstick, lipstick, lotions, etc.
  I have avoided the use of Chapstick, vaseline, etc, for a few months now,
and have not had the problem with numbness.
  So for those of you suffering from neurological symptoms, you might
 want
to do a web search for "neurotoxin" and see if any of those ingredients are
in your lotions, cosmetics, etc.
  For those of you wishing to avoid petrolatum/petroleum jelly, Burt's Bees
lip balm is free of this ingredient.
  Hope this helps somebody! - Mary in Michigan