From:
Wojciech Bania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 15:13:48 -0400

Hello !

On July 14th I asked if anybody had any info on GF status of HERBALIFE
Formula 1.

There were 5 responses.  2 of them with Herbalife's www address
(www.herbalife.com) - - there was no information if their products were GF,
and even without E-mail address for consumers.  Another one with complete
address of Herbalife's Office in Poland - I have send them my question by fax
- no answer untill today.

I have received a post with Herbalife possible alternative - "...Carnation
Instant Breakfast Creamy Milk Chocolate Powdered Envelopes with breakfast as
a drink, as an afternoon snack, and before he went to bed.  We checked to
make sure it was gf with the Nestle company then and confirmed that it was gf
again last week.  He was also eating regular meals, although very little,
when he first went on the diet.  He is now 6 and he is catching up with his
classmates..."

My aim was to ensure if H's F1 as an american product from LA was GF.  To my
suprise it is not known to Americans.

Here are some facts I obtained from local distributor:

1.  Herbalife products are not sold in shops or drugstores, they sell it by
so called independent distributors

2. They are expensive

3. They are not medicines but nutritional supplementation, advertised as
"cellular nutrition"

4.  Herbalife don't want to answere their consumers directly - and there is
no garantee that their distributors are qualified enough to trust them

5.  Last days I saw some videocassettes showing many people telling
incredible effects of Herbalife products on their health (I can't believe all
of them were liars) - but all of them were distributors interested in selling
that products

6.  As to GF status.  Formula 1 contains cellulose obtained from oats bran
and this is probably the only questionable component.  On the other hand in
their brochure they say it is GF

I decided to try Formula 1 on my own risk and to let my son eat it.

MESSAGE for people living in POLAND:

I've received a letter from QCD of NESTLE Poland Torun dated July 14th.

They are sorry that they can't confirm that their Cornflakes are GF.  They
are produced on the same machines with other cereals so they may be
contaminated with glutene.  This is applicable to Nestle cornflakes produced
in Poland.  Copy on request.

Best regards

Wojtek Bania
Szczecin PL

P.S. All further information on Herbalife will be appreciated.