From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:09:07 -0700

My original question pertained to lectins and avoiding potato and corn
starch in baking.  This is the third of three emails summarizing the
to find a non-potato substitute for eggs.

Jackie in AZ

POTATO FREE EGG SUBSTITUTES

As it turned out, a key element of our dilemma in avoiding potatoes in
baking was finding a non-potato based replacement for Egg Replacer (our
daughter has problems with dairy and eggs as well as other foods).  One
person suggested consulting Carol Fenester's books and it happens that
I own "Special Diet Solutions"  (a great book, I recommend it!).  She
recommends the following replacements for baking with eggs:

When an egg is used as a binder -

(1) Soft silken Tofu by Mori-Nu -- 1/4 cup per egg - blend until smooth
before adding.  Makes moist baked goods with heavier texture.

(2) Pureed fruits/vegetables (suggests using apples, apricots, prunes,
pears, corn, carrots, mashed potatoes.  also baby foods work well with
no fillers) -- 3 Tablespoons to replace each egg and increase liquid in
the recipe by 1 Tablespoon.  May detract from flavor of baked goods.

(3)  Unflavored gelatin powders - animal based or plant based (agar) --
1 envelope per cup boiling water.  Substitute 3 Tablespoons per egg.

(4)  Arrowroot, Soy, lecithin --Whisk together 1/4 cup warm water, 2
Tablespoons arrowroot, 1 Tablespoon soy flour, 1/4 teaspoon lecithin
liquid or granules.  May affect the flavor of the baked goods.

(5)  Ground Flaxseed -   For each large egg, combine 1 teaspoon
flaxseed meal with 1/4 cup hot water. Let stand 5  minutes.  May need
to bake longer, possibly 25 degrees cooler.  Makes dishes dark - may
have laxative effect.

To use egg as a leavener (to make a baked good rise), she suggests Egg
Replacer (has potato)  or Buttermilk - Soda (and she suggests a dairy
free buttermilk alternative and provides a recipe) - replace liquid
with equivalent amount of buttermilk, thinned yoghurt, and replace
baking powder with same amount of baking soda, not exceeding 1 teaspoon
per cup flour.  Best for baked goods that don' t require a lot of
rising to look good.  Non dairy alternative: For one cup buttermilk: 1
Tablespoon vinegar and enough rice, soy or nut milk to make 1 cup.  Use
2 Tablespoons less per cup than specified in the recipe.

One person emailed me with two other suggestions for egg replacements:

1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp arrowroot flour + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg

He also suggested other products that lend elasticity to breads, namely
"GFG" by Orgran and Expandex, but he was not sure of the ingredients.