From:
Brian Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:33:15 -0500

Hi all,

My 2 and 1/2 year old son, Grant, got his blood screening results back
today and I am confused.  The reticulin IgA and the gliadin IgA showed
normal.  The IgG was elevated however.   The doctor has concluded that
there is not enough evidence to support his being Celiac.

What do you think since the IgG was elevated (double the normal amount,
I believe)?  Also, she did not send it to one of the labs that you all
recommended.  It went to Dallas then some place in North Carolina.  I
know I have read where some of these tests are subjective, but I don't
know if it is IgA or IgG that is subjective.  The dr. said that neither
is subjective.  Does anybody know?  I have heard that blood can be sent
to an inexperienced lab and produce a negative, then the same blood to
an experienced lab and produces positive.  She also said that the test
is 97-100% reliable in testing for Celiac and I know I have read that it
can produce a false negative 20-50% of the time.

Another thing that is telling is that his alklaline phosphatate level
has dropped almost 1,000 points in the last two weeks while he has been
gluten free.  She had no explanation for that.  It was 1,300 two weeks
ago (which is damage equal to that of a bone fracture in either liver,
bones or intestines).  He was on gluten at that time.  Today, after
being gluten free for two weeks, it was down to 437.  Many of you have
said your alkaline phos. was also elevated when you were on gluten.

He has improve tremendously since being on the gf diet even though there
are occasional lapses.  At least it is not diarrhea all of the time like
it has been before he was gf.  He has also gained a couple of pounds in
just a couple of weeks whereas he has not gained weight in eight months
or more prior to trying the diet.

I am going to leave him gf anyway.  We also have an appointment for
another opinion with a more experienced pediatric GI June 22.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas that might be helpful to us, please
share them.  I still think my son has Celiac.  If not Celiac, something
is wrong.

Regards,
Melinda