From:
Linda McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:11:04 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded.  This is Part 3, since I have
received so many responses.  I will summarize again as I receive more.

not sure if the tests to see if there was a build up of blood in her
uteruss would show if she was premenstrual, but my first period was
preceeded by incredible pain in my abdomin area and lower back.  I woke
in the night screaming and crying it hurt SO bad, and my mom was
dressing to take me to the hospital when she suggested I try to use
toilet first...and that's when
we discovered my period had started. I started very early and had just a
vauge idea what it was and my mother also did not suspect...I was in
elementary school..thinking 5th or 6th grade.  So yes..periods can cause
that kind of pain..but if this is ongoing with no monthly flow starting
there is reson to be concerned.  Has she seen a gyn?  Could she have the
hormones going that cause the cramps but without the cycle???I take
birth control pills which help greatly in controling the pain and pms
symptoms, and it is common for teenagers who are not sexually active to
take low dose pills for the only reason of controlling menstrual pain.
So common that several insurance companies who don't cover contraceptive
will pay for it if
the doctor states it's to control severe menstrual pain.  (I work for
prescription processor for insurance companies)

I've also been reading about the effects of too much soy in hormone
development, and researchers are finding that regular use of soy
products can have a powerfull effect on sexual development, puberty, and
some reproductie cancers.  I noticed my own hormones are off since going
on the GF dairy free diet, and have cut back on my use of soy flour and
milk substansially after reading this.  The same estrogen that treats
menopause in older women causes problems for younger women consuming
these products, and they are starting to recomend warning lablels on soy
formulas.  So if she's using any soy products might be good idea to cut
bsck on them for now.

* * * * * * * * *  * * *

I don't think someone who is not menstruating can have endometriosis
because it's when the lining of the uterus is shed
(menstruation) that little bits and pieces travel to other places and
attach themselves.  The cellular/tissue attachment is then recognized as
tissue that supposedly belongs there and when we cycle they swell up
like everything else with blood and other tissue...that's what causes
the pain.  I wouldn't be convinced at this point if it were my daughter
that endo was
the cause of the pain.  I also want to say that repeated laparoscopies
cause problems and risks later in life.  My current OB/GYN has been
hesitant to go back in (for a 3rd time) to zap out the tissue because
the risk of rupturing something else increases with each laparoscopy.
Also the risk of rupturing my uterus upon delivering my 2nd child
obviously would cause risk to both mother and child.  Something to think
about before you jump into that.  I think I took the lap procedure too
lightly in the past.

ANYHOW I had the exact same pain that you described in your daughter.  I
also have endometriosis, but the pain associated with that for me is
very very distinct and often is for those with it.  For me it is sharp
shooting pain during urination or bowel movements.  That was the first
sign that I had it.  And it tends to build each month with each period.
But the pain
was resolved after menstruation completed.  The pain with my gluten
intolerance (I'm not officially dx'd as having CD or
DH...only by bloodwork so far and biopsy is in the works) was JUST as
you described your daughter's.  It landed me in the ER and to mor doc
than I can recall last year.  Only the GI and the DO got me help.  But
it started with my going onthe Yeast connection diet first.  My
abdominal and back pain diasappeared but then other symptoms presented.
I also noticed that
saturated fats caused me to have this ab/back pain more frequently and
more intensely.  Try removing fatty foods from her diet and see if that
helps.  Also make sure she gets good essential fatty acids in her diet.
A few almonds or other nut if no nut allergy or use olive oil in a
homemade salad dressing.  Use canola oil instead of regualr vegetable
oil.  Watch butter
intake.