From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:17:13 EDT

2008 7th Annual Community Awareness Event
Hosted by Bellingham Gluten  Intolerance Group of Whatcom County, Washington
On Thursday, October 30th  through Saturday, November 1st, 2008
At St. Luke's Health Education  Center
3333 Squalicum Pkwy
Bellingham, WA
Admission: FREE

Contact Information: Kelle A. Rankin-Sunter 360-223-7437

We are pleased to announce this year's BGIG's annual Community Awareness
Event (CAE) will move back to Bellingham. Our new venue and expanded program
begins on Thursday evening, 10/30/08 with a presentation by Dr. Thomas O'Bryan,
DC, CCN, DACBN, - How Gluten Affects the Brain - from 6:30 pm to 9 pm (for
more  information, visit Dr. O'Bryan's website:
_http://claruscenter.com/obryan.htm_ (http://claruscenter.com/obryan.htm)   )
On Friday, 10/31/08 (from 9am to 4:30), we offer a series of presentations
throughout the day all in keeping with this year's theme - Dining/Traveling
Gluten Free: Gluten Free 101, Making the Chef Your Ally, Cruising Gluten Free,
Building a GF Emergency/Travel Kit.. Bring a sack lunch and spend the day!

Saturday, Nov. 1st (10 am to 3:30 pm) is the - big day - with speakers
Shauna Ahern and Chef  (website: _http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/_
(http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/)   ) leading off the day with a cooking demonstration
at 11 am.. Other activities  include local stores and restaurants with
sampling tables, manufacturers' GF  samples, gluten free book and bake sale, silent
auction and a BGIG reference  table. Our healthcare resource area will once
again include Tom Malterre, CN  from Whole Life Nutrition; Dr. Layton, ND and Ed
Layton from Natural Health  Bellingham; and new this year - dietary staff
from St. Joseph's hospital.  We encourage you to bring your questions regarding
healthy gluten free  living.
The afternoon will feature a panel discussion by health-care  individuals who
serve on our board, Shauna and Chef, and some surprise guests. A  question
and answer period follows.

This event is focused primarily for the general public in an effort to
increase awareness for this very serious condition. Last year our CAE was  attended
by over 200 individuals. With a rate of over 95% of persons with celiac
disease still undiagnosed, we hope more people can get healthy by learning about
this condition.

The Bellingham Gluten Intolerance Group serves the NW corner of the state  of
Washington including Whatcom, Skagit and Island Counties as well as
individuals from British Columbia. BGIG offers support, recipes, information and
networking for those experiencing reactions of any sort to wheat, rye and  barley,
in addition people who care for these individuals. We welcome everyone  to
attend our meetings and events. You do not have to be a member to join  us.

For more information on Celiac Disease/Dermatitis Herpetiformis and Gluten
Intolerance:

National Institute of Health -
_http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm_
(http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm)