From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:50:01 -0500

Summary of responses to my question about a commercial GF product listing.

First of all, I'd like to thank the people from Tri-County (particularly
Mary Guerriero), who quickly figured out what had happened to my product
list order and got it to me so quickly!

I got one request for a copy of any list I received electronically.
Hopefully my summary will help you out! Thanks to everyone who sent
information or wished me well as I embark on this culinary adventure - I am
continually impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of members of
this list!

Chris Silker
Minneapolis, MN
_____________________________________
Our company manufatures 100% natural, WHEAT/GLUTEN FREE, gourmet tasting
vegetarian dinners and snacks. Most are DAIRY FREE, and some are lowfat.
All are ready to eat/heat and serve and shelf stable. Please visit our
web site at:

http://www.tamtree.com
_____________________________________
There is a GF support group that meets in Eden Prarie, I believe.  They
were pretty active when I was diagnosed in 7-93.  If you can't find them,
try calling Valley Natural Foods in Burnsville--they may have the number.
The support group should have a listing or get on Scott Adams home page @
www.celiac.com. From there you can get to all sorts of links that can give
you lots of info.  Valley Natural also has a complete listing of all the
foods they carry that are GF.
_____________________________________
I order my flour, etc. from the Ener-G company.  There prices are very good
and they have a large selection.  They have a website at

www.ener-g.com

This website lists all their products, prices, you can order from it or can
call their 1-800 #.

I order my flour bulk rather than by the box as it is cheaper.  You might
want to buy one box of a certain flour and then get the rest in bulk.  That
way you will have recipes on the box.
_____________________________________
Hope these few things give you an idea what to buy. There are some
recipes on my web site if that interests you too.
http://home.inreach.com/maxwell/

Some products I use (read labels before deciding)

Bread:
Food For Life: white, rice almond       Raley's Natural Foods Freezer
                                        and Trader Joe's
Homemade: scratch and bread machine     Red Star brochure 1-800-423-5422
Dietary Specialties: muffins, cake mix  1-800-544-0099
Cybros:  Bread and rolls                Wisconsin 1-800-876-2253

Condiments:
Catsup -        Westbrae, Enrico's, Hain, Robbie's, Heinz
BBQ sauce -     Robbie's, Cattlemens, K.C. Masterpiece original
Mayonnaise -    Best Foods,
Soy Sauce -     San J Tamari, Chun King
Worcestershire Sauce -  Robbie's, French's
Mustard-        French's, Best Foods Dijonaise
Pickles & Relish - New Morning, Cascadian Farms, Mrs. Fanning's Bread and
        Butter Pickles
Flour:
Rice flour, Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Sweet Rice Flour
Check Asian Markets for flours and rice noodles. They run .39 to .89/lb.

Pasta:
DeBoles, Mrs. Leepers, Westbrae, EnerG Foods, Asian Mkt.Rice Sticks.
Sauces: Prego Spaghetti, all Ragu, all Chicken Tonight, Ragu Pizza sauce
and 5 Brothers spag. sauces. Chun King & Teriyaki sauce, LaChoy's Stir Fry
Mandarin

Cereal:
Kellogg's Corn Pops, NutriGrain Almond Raisin
Rice Crispy Cereal from health food stores (Barbara's)
Granola (EnerG)
Perky's Nutty Rice Cereal
Puffed Rice
Quaker Cocoa Blasts, General Mills French Toast
Chips, Crackers:
plain potato chips
Frito's corn chips
Corn Puffs
Rice Cakes
homemade: Cheez-its*, Graham Crackers *

Toothpaste: Tom's of Maine, Arm & Hammer dental products
Cookbook Recommendation:*
Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet
  "           "         More From The Gluten Free Gourmet
  '           '          Cooks Fast & Healthy
_____________________________________
Have in my hands right now, the 88 page list of GF food products from the
Tri-County Celiac-Sprue Support Group. I am in NJ and this great list was
brought to our attention by our support group here in Jersey. I have a
feeling that they are heavily in demand. So be patient! Remember when you
get this list, that some of the products are from July 95, July 96 and
October 96. I have not had any problems with the products mentioned, hoping
of course ingredients have not changed since them. As a new celiac, still
read the ingredients on anything you buy. In the beginning it is a little
difficult and very frustrating but believe me patience wins out. Good luck
on your diet and if there are any products you need to get started, write
me back and I will be glad to help you until you get your list.
_____________________________________
Another Gluten-Free List is from CSA/USA INC. for $8.00
P.O.Box31700, Omaha,NE. 68131
A new one will probably be out in the Fall. Jim Lyles also was connected
with this on as well as the Tri-County one.
(The order form is available on the web at
http://members.aol.com/celiacusa/matorder.htm)
If you go to www.celiac.com, there are safe and forbidden lists of
ingredients.  That should be a good start.
Try Jowar Foods.  They are a small manufacturer of gluten free and wheat
free flour,  baking mixes, and cereal.  There products are made from
sorghum.  Have a look at their web page, www.jowar.com.