From:
"Fornace, Albert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 1995 16:31:00 EDT

I recently called the Kraft consumer line about several of their products
that contain poorly defined components such as "cellulose gum"
The consumer person eventually sent me a letter inadequately describing the
contents - re. gluten (and also a coupon for any Kraft product).  I then sent
a letter to the president of Kraft complaining about inadequate support for
customers with CD.  The letter ended up in Ed Thompson's office and he
investigated the issue to tell me that the cellulose gum in products such as
Kraft cheese is derived from tree products - pine trees probably and
contain no gluten.  I discussed with him the need for more specific labeling
and he said he would pass on the word in the company.

In the long run, some kind of regulatory action is probably going to be
needed to make the larger food companies more responsive to CD concerns?

Regards,

Al Fornace