From:
"Perlman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Perlman, Jay
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:45:33 -0600

I have tried to send this summary several times without success. I will
try to separate the responses and resend.

Chinese Fortune Cookies

Yield 12

l egg

1/3 cup sugar

2 TB corn oil

2 TB water

1/4 cup cornstarch

Have fortunes prepared in advance. Beat egg on low speed until frothy.

Beat in sugar, a little at a time, and continue beating until mixture is

a very light yellow and thick. Fold in corn oil. Blend water and a

little of the egg mixture into cornstarch, then stir into the remaining

egg mix. Heat heavy, well seasoned griddle to 350 deg, or until drops of

water bounce when dropped on the griddle. ( For griddles without

temperature control, keep heat between low and medium), Drop heaping TB

of batter on the griddle and spread with the back of a spoon to about 4

in. wide and 1/8 in, thick. Cook until edges are slightly brown and

cookies can be easily lifted from griddle with a spatula, 5 - 8

minutes.. If they stick, the bottoms need to cooked a little longer.
Turn

and cook the other side, until light brown. Be careful to keep

temperature even. Place fortune paper on cookie as soon as it is removed

from the griddle. Folding is easier to do than to describe, but the end

result is shaped like a horseshoe. Fold opposite edges together, forming

a semicircle. Crease crosswise at the center of the straight edge to

form a flattened side, then bend the opposing corners together for the

traditional shape. Set in a small glass or muffin tin until cookie cools

and holds its shape. Wipe griddle and stir batter. Repeat.

Good luck. Be careful, I think I burned my finger a few times but they

are great.