From:
Chase Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:04:43 EST

As it turns out, I am far from alone in not being able to tolerate brown
rice.  I heard from more than a dozen folks who have a gluten type reaction
from eating brown rice.
Some folks have left it at that, others have experimented with the problem
and achieved some degree of success.  Suggestions follow, but please remember,
EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.  Do what's right for YOU!

* Brown rice may be nutritionally better for you but it IS simply harder to
digest.
It may be the casing (husk), or the fiber, or the protein component of it
(most allergies are to proteins).

* Many people who can't eat it at first are able to after a healing period.
Some never can eat it.

* Soaking the rice, for at least 12 hours, and then pouring that water off,
may make it more digestible.

* Rinsing the rice is important in order to wash away powders, talc, whatever
may have been used to keep the grains separate. (I had no idea!)

* Buying grain in bulk (like in a bin at a health food store) may risk cross
contamination from other grains.  Brown rice in a package is probably better.
(Lundberg brand was recommended.)

* A half way rice (between brown and white) is marketed in Australia by Sun
Gold.
If anyone finds it in Northeast USA, please forward the info.

So, enjoy your rice, if you think it's nice..... or don't!

Thanks for all the replies.
Chase
New Hampshire, USA