From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:59:49 -0800

Here's the comments I received when I asked if anyone has tried reducing oxalates by diet or taking calcium citrate w/ meals or both. [My comments in brackets.]  Names have been with held for the sake of privacy.  Valerie in Tacoma
------------
I have tried taking calcium.  I was just diagnosed this year and am still struggling with joint pain and swelling (presumable from celiacs since all my tests are negative).  When I remember and take calcium with each meal I definitely feel better.  My diet is still in the works, so changing the few foods my body can tolerate is not in the cards right now.  But have definitely seen improvement with calcium citrate three times a day.
------------
 Yes, I read your post, and did reduce oxalates and feel better.  thank you.-------------

I TRIED THE DIET FOR 3 MONTHS. BOUGHT THE COOKBOOK, JOINED THE 'TRYING LOW OXALATES LIST.'
I HAD NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER IN MY FIBROMYALGIA SYMPTOMS. NO DUMPING; I DID NOT FEEL BETTER OR WORSE.    MAYBE 3 MONTHS WASN'T LONG ENOUGH. THE DIET WASN'T DIFFICULT SO I MAY HAVE
ANOTHER GO AT IT. I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR SUMMARY.
I have been eating foods from the low & moderate oxalate list for several months now.  I take calcium citrate just before lunch & dinner.  If I do eat something from the high oxalate list, I try to remember to take an extra little bit of calcium citrate w/ it.  It really helps me be more comfortable.  This has made a marked improvement in the intimate relationship I have w/ my spouse.

I had results w/i a few days of starting the diet.  After a few months, I slipped off the diet one day, ate three high oxalate foods in one meal (corn bread, turnip greens & baked beans) & didn't take the calcium citrate.  I think I slipped off the diet "accidentally on purpose" to see if it really makes a difference.  The next day I had sore joints, feet, breasts and crotch (couldn't wear jeans).  So I learned that it really makes a difference for me, at least.
I keep reminding myself to eat something orange everyday. I don't feel right if I don't eat beta-carotene everyday. The Low Oxalate Cookbook recommends Acorn Squash for beta carotene because it is low in oxalates. They suggest substituting acorn squash in recipes that call for pumpkin, sweet potatoes, etc. Carrots are fairly high in oxalates, butoxalates are reduced if you boil the carrots..carrots are a good source of fiber.My Acron Squash story: bought 6 of them -2 from Whole Foods ($1.39 per pound with stems) and 4 from Albertson's (.99 per pound without stems) wrestled with scrubbing them and cutting them in half to bake in the oven. The Whole Foods squash was tasty-no reaction. The Albertson's squash was covered with a thick layer of wax, had a peculiar smell and not so tasty plus about four hours later I had the restless leg syndrome thing driving me nuts---had to drink some rosehips tea (Vit C) to stop it.  Read this in Bottom Line's Superfoods RX book:How to Tame a Winter Squash.Winter squash are very hard, requiring brute force to penetrate them, even with the sharpest knives. Here's how to tame one: Wash it well and place the whole squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F preheated oven 15 to 30 minutes, depending upon the size and variety, just until the skin is soft to the touch and theback of a spoon makes a slight indentation. Remove from the oven, and when cool enough to handle, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, then the pulp and proceed with your recipe. TIPS:  *A winter squash should be rock hard. If it's soft, it's either too young or too old. Test the skin-if it nicks easily, it's probably too young. *Be sure to buy squash that has its stem on. Without the stem, bacteria can get into the squash.*The skin should be somewhat dull. A shiny squash is either too young or has been treated with wax.

*A deep, rich color usually means a ripe squash. If the squash is dark green, you can still usually see the area that touches the ground and it should be a ripe color, not pale green.*You'll find the most vivid colors at harvest time-usually late summer to fall. But later in the year, when the squash has been stored, it will be sweeter and more concentrated in flavor.*Squash that comes from a cooler climate will often have more flavor and sweetness than one that grows in a warmer place. Check your supplier -end of quote-The next time I buy 2 Acorn squash from Whole Foods, I will bake them whole-pierce one with a meat fork and NOT pierce the other one and see which one is best. If cooking them whole works, I will be inclined to cook acorn squash more often. Butternut squash is too sweet for me. Made somebutternut squash/apple soup and it stirred up the candida instantly big time. My digestive tract churns out the candida big time when I eat very sweet veggies/sweet potatoes/pumpkin and fruits---more so than eating a sweet dessert????Received this in my mailbox today.  Seeing is believing If your mom always told you to eat your carrots (and if you actually listened to her), you may have been protecting more than just your eyesight. You could also have been protecting your brain against declines in memory, thinking and learning - the kind of precursors usually associated with the sad and debilitating Alzheimer's disease. Yes, carrots have long been associated with improved eyesight, but it turns out that beta carotene can also protect the mind. A new study has pointed to the effectiveness of beta- carotene supplements in warding off cognitive decline in healthy men. Of course, there's a catch: Men who benefited from protective effects of the beta carotene took the supplements for about 18 years. Men who took supplements for an average of a year saw no benefits. You've also got to start the supplement regimen before the onset of any cognitive decline in order for it to make a difference. But if you're healthy, the study shows that you can actually use beta-carotene to help improve your memory. This is just the kind of non-traditional preventative therapy that I like finding. Just as nitrates can protect your heart, it appears that beta carotene can be used in the same way to defend that other vital organ - the brain - from the kinds of damage caused by the ravages of age. And what a tasty way to do it.  William Campbell Douglass II, M.D. (a reference for the quotation, not the respondant's name.)