From:
Sean McNicholas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean McNicholas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 01:00:05 -0600

All ~ Any experience, thoughts, recommendations on including uncontaminated
oats into the diet of an adult with celiac disease?  I have been doing some
research and have come to the conclusion that adult patients with CD in
remission (on a GF diet for more than a year) can include large amounts of
controlled wheat-free rolled oats for an extended period of time without
adverse effects.  Additional studies have shown that moderate amounts of
uncontaminated oats are safe for most adults with celiac disease.  I also go
this from a manufacturers website:

*Are McCann's Oat products gluten free?*

All McCann's oat products are processed in a dedicated oatmeal mill that
handles only oatmeal. In the supply chain between farm and mill, there is a
possible cross contamination with other grains, such as wheat and barley but
we reckon that the level of non-oat grains to be less than 0.05%. Cleaning
equipment within the milling process would remove the vast majority of these
grains along with other elements such as stones, straw etc.

But we cannot guarantee that McCann's oats are totally gluten free and we
recommend that consumers use their own judgement as to whether they wish to
use our oatmeal or not. Many celiacs can tolerate our oatmeal products
without any adverse effect but they may not suit those who are particularly
sensitive.

--
Regards,

Sean K McNicholas