From:
Charis Takaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charis Takaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2010 07:23:42 -0700

Hi - My young sons have celiac and we will be staying in Turkey for
three weeks this summer. I have found some restaurant related
information online, but I'm looking for more information on three topics.

1- We will have a kitchen and will be doing our own cooking for some of
the time - where can I find gluten free flour (is corn meal, rice flour,
etc available at all?) in Turkey?  Under what brands? What type of
market has it, specifically in Istanbul and in the Izmir area?  Are
there any good breakfast grain options besides leftover cooked rice?
They'll be sad to miss out on the bread everywhere.

2- Snacks: They consume a large amount of snacks - aside from things
like nuts and fruit, what type of snacks can I buy them in Turkey to
keep them fed during days of sightseeing? Are there any gluten free
bars, cookies, crackers, or other portable snacks?

3- Hidden gluten?  I speak Turkish and will have my dictionary so I can
read ingredients and quiz the kitchen for obvious things like wheat
flour, bulgar, etc.  But what are the ingredients I need to watch out
for where gluten may hide in Turkish processed or restaurant food? I'm
thinking of things like the soy sauce and malt we have to watch out for
here - are there things like that in Turkey, and if so, what are the
words so I can know when I read the labels?

Any other suggestions or cautions most welcome!

Is there anyone living with celiac in Turkey on the list who can help me?
Thanks!
-Charis