From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:53:13 -0600

Thank you to everyone for your quick responses.  I really appreciate all the information and look forward to my trip.  Especially thanks for all the travel directions, addresses and phone numbers.

In general for traveling anywhere these were very good suggestion:  Try going to ww.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59 national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to ease the ordering process.
It was also suggested to go to www.outback.com , www.carrabbas.com , www.bonefishgrill.com .  They are all owned by Outback Steakhouse and have gluten free menus and location maps on their web sites.  Print a copy of the menu, take it with you, and ---------ask for the manager-----.

For Dallas I got several recommendations to visit this website.  http://www.dfwceliac.org/  It is a great website full of information.  I will be able to use this site for my yearly trips to the Dallas area to visit my sisters. They especially enjoyed looking at the website to help decide what is the best places and the variety of choses we now have.  Thank you to however is responsible for this site.  You did a very good job.

There are 2 chain restaurants right next to the airport (which means about 2 miles away). MacArthur /635 is a few miles northeast of the airport... these are northwest.  Carrabba's Italian Grill - www.carrabba's.com    Don Pablo's (Tex Mex) - www.donpablos.com For each, pull up the locator and look for the Grapevine location.
Also in the Dallas area is a store that is owned by a very nice, informative woman, Mary Hunt.  The store is FM Specialty Food in Flower Mound, 1001 Cross Timbers Rd.  She will answer questions,  refer good
products and give directions to the store.  Her store number is (972) 724-3388 and cell is (469) 733-3673.   You are welcome to tell her that Marlene referred.
Chipotle is at the corner of 635 and MacArthur.  Gueros mexican restaurant is down MacArthur north from 635 about 5 minutes at most.  Their chips, salsa and fajitas are all gluten free.  We go there all the time.  Just tell them to microwave the corn tortillas and you shouldn't have any problems. For fish, there is Rockfish, just south of 635.  Never had a problem there. There is Saltgrass steak house or for Italian there is I'Fratelli's ( this is a close friends place).  My children have CD and we don't usually go there even though he says he will make the Gluten -Free pasta for us.  Too much of a risk for us when there are so many other choices around.

The Grapevine Mills outlet mall is close to the DFW north gate just off of state road 121... a direct shot out of and back into the airport.  Watch the road signs closely or you'll find yourself driving off to who knows where and it's a long way to someplace you can turn around!  There's a Rain Forest Cafe in the mall.  I hear this chain is accommodating to special diets.  Fajitas with corn tortillas are a pretty safe bet if you decide to eat at a Mexican restaurant.  You really don't want to get very far from the airport because of the traffic!  It can get really bad in Arlington (south gate).  And getting on I-635 or I-820 can almost guarantee you'll be in a massive traffic jam.  Both are accessed from the north gate; I-635 goes to Dallas and I-820 to Fort Worth.

For Pensacola:

Any of the local sea food restaurants in Pensacola/Gulf Breeze are good.  Try the grilled grouper, it's a firm white meat fish.  And there's always crawfish (crawdads, mudbugs) They're boiled with a few whole spices... you don't have to suck the heads, but you'll definitely want to dress down for this dining experience..

Everman's Natural Food Store tele: (850)435-0522  for directions to store
315 Garden
Pensacola, FL

There are an Outback and a Carabbas, both of which have GF menus.
I love going to Joe Patti's seafood. I buy fresh shrimp and other seafood and have a feast. They have a sushi bar and the sushi is wonderful, as it is the freshest I've ever had.

Thanks again for all your help.  I am looking forward to our trip.
Rita