From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 11:00:40 GMT

In the post from the Sprue-nik Press, it said:

>Dr. Alessio Fasano, University of Maryland
>A question was raised: Can a baby receive gluten through breast milk?
>Dr. Fasano stated that it has never been described that gluten can go
>through breast glands

Although I have never read the journal articles myself, Dr.  Kalle
Reichelt, a Norweigan researcher,has cited several articles as evidence
that dietary proteins in general, and gluten/gliadin specifically, can be
transfered to a breast-fed baby:

The following is from a post written by Reichelt to another internet
discussion group, but if you do a CELIAC archives search on 'reichelt'
you will find very similar posts on our own discussion group:

>...food proteins can be demonstrated in mothers milk (3-6) as intact
> proteins. This could easily therefore take place also during pregnancy.

>3: Kilshaw PJ and Cant AJ (1984) The passage of maternal dietary
> protein into human breast milk. Int Arch Allergy and Appl
>Immunol 75: 8-15.

>4: Axelsson I, Jacobsson I, Lindberg T, and Benediktsson B (1986)
> Bovine lactoglobulin in human milk .Acta Paed Scand 75: 702-707.

>5: Stuart CA, Twiselton R, Nicholas M and Hide DW (1984) Passage
> of cow s milk protein in breast milk .Clin Allergy 14:533-535.

> 6:Troncone R, Scarcella A, Donatiello A, Cannataro P, Tarabusco A and
>  Auricchio S (1987) passage of gliadin into human breast milk .
> Acta paed Scand 76: 453-456.

Since Ihave not read the articles, I have no idea whether the amounts of
these proteins would be sufficient to trigger a Celiac (or other
autoimmune) response in a susceptible child.

If anyone makes a copy of these articles and is willing to fax or mail me a
copy, please email me privately, as we are expecting another baby soon.

Bill Elkus